ATX Community

Anyone changing office procedures re: CoVid-19?

jklcpa

I work from home, and a better than usual amount of my clients came in early this year.  At this point, I've cancelled all remaining appointments and told them to just leave their paperwork between the screen and front door (at set times, so I'll be available to grab it right away) or to mail it. Wishing I'd looked into the CCH portal, but that's on my summer research list for next season.

Other than that, wiping down doorknobs, phones, keyboards and mice daily, all the usual stuff.  I'm in a high risk group, but I'm also an introvert; we've been practicing all our lives for self-isolation, lol.  So I'm not very nervous about catching it, but am anxious about a number of my clients losing their businesses.  So far my state has been doing great with their response, but I hope Congress and the WH can get their crap together quickly to put out some relief packages. 

• Like 3

I suspended all face-to-face appointments and went to drop-off or secure file transfer only starting today.  I have a fairly large elderly client base so I am offering to pick up information for those folks, although the majority of people I've seen out and about are the over 60 crowd.  

• Like 1

I just sent out an email to this year's 'latecomers' announcing no in person appointments, with the opportunity to drop off, snail mail, or send via my portal or verifyle (a secure document sharing platform).  If I didn't already have a website I'd d/c the portal and only use verifyle.  I also (again) notified them that extensions were possible, but they had to explicitly ask for one.  Once we receive final guidance from what was said in today's news conference I'll send out another email blast with those details.

• Like 3

I hope by now most people understand this is not media hype, nor business as usual like a normal flu season.   The rate of expansion has exploded in the last 24 hours.  NYC's mayor is considering a shelter in place because one of my upper echelon sources told me there is a community hospital in NYC that is already overwhelmed and full of cases, he said it is a disaster.  This morning I heard Mass General said their rate of new cases just quadrupled in the last 24 hours.  My source and I think the only way we beat this is go to total shutdown which he thinks is going to happen within the week.   Just look at what other countries did and are succeeding.   The other option is let everyone get infected so it passes through that way and lose millions of people, not a sane option.  Everyone, especially the millennials out there partying like it's 1999 must get on board.

I've contacted all my remaining clients, I will not be accepting any more mail ins, only electronic and will be doing extensions if they can only mail.

The next few days will tell us everything, plan for the worst, hope for the best.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:54 AM, jklcpa said:

I wanted to start a separate topic related specifically to changing office procedures related to the spreading virus...

What have others here changed or are considering changing because of this?  

I am cleaning surfaces more, wiping the door handles, making sure I have paper towels rather than just a hand towel in the bathroom, and I have never in my life had my face to itch so much.  🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lion EA said:

A friend's daughter-in-law is expecting any minute in NYC. Her ob/gyn said this morning that there are no hospital beds now. He told her to call when she's in labor, and they will tell her what hospital, if any, to go to.

IF a home birth is an option for her, that is what I would do, especially now.  Too many germs and sick people in hospitals!

• Like 3

That's exactly what I suggested to my friend, the soon-to-be grandmother. I know a couple of CT midwives, but didn't have a NY midwife to suggest. But, I did suggest they look into a home birth with a midwife. Problem is, they lived together a long time before marrying and getting pregnant, so almost-mother is nearly or already 40 and being treated as a high-risk pregnancy. My friend/almost-grandmother is understandably worried, no matter where DIL gives birth.

• Like 2

since last week already we have locked the door Proactive, not overreactive

doing curb service - with one of the staff for drop-offs and the few that will not pay by charge card and sign pdf

tons of sanitizer, washing hands

secure emails

no tax packets going out - pick up later - too cheap to mail!

one staff went to a local tournament - she has off for 5 days working remote -make sure she is not contagious - unlikely as probably not here in Northern WI yet!

another one is working remote due to age

another one, I paid $20 to stay home from bingo!! in a bar - - she said she could win $36, I said you want a job? She had a birthday supper instead for her mom in law - would not have gone anyway and she took the $20!

His family will not let his sister take his mom out of an assisted facility even tho the close daughter who is a nurse said she would take her home and she is home  -  eye surgery - elective. ( I sent them all the article!!)

My daughter - nurse pract for well children, was switched to the clinic where they are taking the suspected Corona cases - has  3 children at home with teacher dad.. Wxpectas to get the virus...

Other son in law will lose his restaurant business if there is not a good shore up package.. He is desparate

One son is in cheese production - running full stream as cows keep making milk but will people come to store to buy? Schools, restaurants are not - what happens to excess cheese? Farmers cannot stop cows?

And other son is fine - working remote with 3 young children - work said it is vacation time if not on computer working - NICE!

We saw them not too long ago

Easter will be on hold

I will keep working.. people keep calling - Where are my taxes!!

You brought them in 3/6? You know anything after 3/1 is an extension!

But it is nicer working with less traffic.

and I got a prescription for pnemonia Mon... so am working slower anyway!

Life was good!! Roll with the punches - Pray a lot, pray more!!

• Like 4

Notified all my remaining clients I'm not meeting with anyone between now and at least Apr 15 (although probably well beyond that date due to the Wuhan Virus). 

Some I called, most I sent an email or text.   They can either mail their info or put it in the slot in my office door, which is locked when I'm there but I'm not opening it for anyone.  Everyone gets an extension unless I can complete the return on a "first pass" with whatever info they give me.    

Going to the beach Thursday for a long weekend and determined not to let taxes or clients be a source of stress. There are more important things in life.

• Like 6