ATX Community

ATX 1040 Tax Covers

MDCPA

Historically use Nelco tax covers with the two windows centered.  Is there a way to print the federal cover sheet with top window (which shows Federal Tax Return, Customer name and the year to the left and the second window remain in the center?

Thanks Terry D - all these years and never thought of cutting the folders for the rare tax return that is too large. I have a box of fastener prongs that I could use with the top and bottom folder pieces.  Never too old to learn!!!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MDCPA said:

Thanks Terry D - all these years and never thought of cutting the folders for the rare tax return that is too large. I have a box of fastener prongs that I could use with the top and bottom folder pieces.  Never too old to learn!!!!

I've done that too and used my GBC binding machine for those larger tax returns.  It's the kind of machine that cuts a row of little rectangular holes and opens the plastic comb type spine, not the spines with the heat sealed spikes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MDCPA said:

As Terry mentioned, Tenenz has 1" folders that I purchased specifically for ATX.  

https://www.tenenz.com/category/atx-compatible-slip-sheet-folders/132

https://www.tenenz.com/category/atx-compatible-expandable-slip-sheet-folders/136   <~~ 1 Inch

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, MDCPA said:

Is there a way to print the federal cover sheet with top window (which shows Federal Tax Return, Customer name and the year to the left and the second window remain in the center?

You can edit the cover sheet (and any letter) to be however you want it. Do this in any open return, save it for all future returns, then just discard and re-add the cover sheet in all rolled over returns.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 9:50 AM, jklcpa said:

I've done that too and used my GBC binding machine for those larger tax returns.  It's the kind of machine that cuts a row of little rectangular holes and opens the plastic comb type spine, not the spines with the heat sealed spikes.

Thanks Judy for the clarification that I failed to include. I just though "paper binder" was well known as to what it is. Mine also cuts the little rectangular holes and opens the plastic comb. I have one inch combs for the huge ones. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terry D said:

have one inch combs for the huge ones

Wow. I've NEVER printed a return that large. In ATX, I pretty much just give the client forms and very few statements or worksheets. I PDF all of those for myself in a separate return. Having a slimmed down PDF for banks and other third parties, is also a good idea.

• Like 1

I think printing all the worksheets confuses the client.  I've been in the habit of printing the "1040 reconciliation worksheet" in UT, which is the old familiar 1040 because it doesn't bunch all types of income and deductions together (especially last year).  I just got a call from a client who was confused by it, when I thought it was less confusing.  I don't think anyone but a tax pro could follow a taxable Soc Security worksheet, or taxable state refund, or AMT worksheets when they aren't subject to AMT.  I do print ones like the Q dividends and cap gains worksheet so they can see that they saved money and the QBI deduction worksheet so they can see why they are not getting the full 20 percent.  Ever get a client who self-prepared last year with TurboTax and brings you 88 pages of gobbledeegook from last year's return when all they had a couple of W2s and maybe bank interest?  I just don't think more is better, unless you really charge a lot and want clients to think they got their money's worth.

• Like 2

It's so much easier when dealing over the telephone or via email or more and more via text (I hate to text) to tell a client to look at Worksheet XY and see the top line is $1234 but the bottom line is $0, so none of your "whatever" was taxed, but yes I did include it, didn't forget it. Even more important when the top line is $1234 but the bottom line, or line 12 that transfers to Sch 1 line 99, is NOT $1234 and NOT $0 but something altogether different, such as $567. They're sure you put the wrong number in or left off a form, because they don't see the number they're looking for on the two-page 1040. The worksheets tell them why, without trying to talk them through the math over the phone. Profx can print all the worksheets run together, so 21 worksheets can print on 4 pages or so, a small price to pay to save me time answering their questions later. I've even had clients work it out themselves, because everything is labeled with directions, such as "transfer this total to line __ on Sch _ "  or "to worksheet __." That matches the directions on the return, such as "see worksheet __ line _" or something like that. I've had clients call to tell me how proud they were to have figured it out themselves, a much more pleasant phone call than, "I though my SS isn't supposed to get taxed." I've dumped a few obscure worksheets out of client copies over the years. But, I want each client to have everything they need to take to a new preparer. Or, to go home and show their spouse or grown children that I did a good job for them.

• Like 4

On 3/26/2020 at 11:17 AM, Terry D said:

For the banks, I print the filing copy from Drake that only gives the necessary form that the bank wants to see. The big one is always for the client as they are entitled to everything that was used to complete the return meaning all worksheets; etc.

Isn't this the same as the ATX filing copy?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

Isn't this the same as the ATX filing copy?

Just fyi, in Drake there are client copies, preparer copies, and filing (mail-in) copies.  (Those last have all the ssn digits, etc.)  Banks want those numbers, so they get "filing" copies.  Taxpayers get the client copies that also include most of the worksheets, and have ssn's masked.  Preparer copies get *all* the worksheets, plus diagnostics and notes and carry-forwards and the like.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Catherine said:

Just fyi, in Drake there are client copies, preparer copies, and filing (mail-in) copies.  (Those last have all the ssn digits, etc.)  Banks want those numbers, so they get "filing" copies.  Taxpayers get the client copies that also include most of the worksheets, and have ssn's masked.  Preparer copies get *all* the worksheets, plus diagnostics and notes and carry-forwards and the like.  

My client copies do not have the SSNs masked in Drake. The only thing I've noticed where the SSNs are masked is on the main demographics page of the organizer. Masking SSN, EFIN, and PTIN on the client and preparer sets is an optional setting found in Setup>Options>Calc & View/Print tab.

2 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

is the ATX file copy similar to Drake's filing copy

In ATX, filing copy is meant for paper filing of returns and nothing is ever masked, but some pages won't print in that copy. We use it for efile signature forms, efile payment info, engagement letters, payment vouchers and estimate vouchers/records.

The client copy is the one where you can mask ID#s.

K1s can have the recipient's ID# masked in any print copy, and it leaves the last 4 digits unmasked, but it's not masked on most states that I've seen. ATX says states don't allow it, which is 🐄:poop: because K1 printouts are just for us and clients. States get efiles.

10 hours ago, WITAXLADY said:

I do not print all for preparer as that is on the back-up and in the tax program on the server..and saved to zip often...

I just save what I need like W-2's, etc..

D

I don't want to have to go into my tax program to see things that can quickly be seen in a PDF. And what happens if the return file is corrupted or changed in some way, or I switch to another tax program? No thanks. I want a "carved in stone" PDF of every return I produce with ALL the useful worksheets and statements included. We have TBs of drive space these days on drives that will wear out before they ever get full.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jklcpa said:

My client copies do not have the SSNs masked in Drake. The only thing I've noticed where the SSNs are masked is on the main demographics page of the organizer. Masking SSN, EFIN, and PTIN on the client and preparer sets is an optional setting found in Setup>Options>Calc & View/Print tab.

True, it's a set-up option for client and preparer copies.  But the filing copies cannot and never will have ssns masked.