ATX Community

IRS Phone Call

Christian

I have doubts the IRS would call on that. Per the IRS website:

Question: How do I access my online account?

Answer: To access your online PTIN account, go to the PTIN system login page. On the top left side of the page under Returning User, enter your User ID and Password in the designated fields. Then click “Sign In”.  

BOOM - there is your PTIN once you log into the IRS

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Christian said:

Just received a call reportedly from the IRS saying my PTIN is incorrect. does anyone have a contact number in the Service to check . Say I have been using an incorrect PTIN since 2014.

Sleep well and if they call again, ask them to send you a letter. Don't give them any information over the phone.
I usually ask them if they will do any sexual favors for me because they are scammers. My conversation becomes demanding and with examples... all the time they hang up and don't bother me again.

• Haha 6

I just accessed my PTIN account. I printed out the official letter I got on renewal. I'll be darned if the call was not legit. I have been using an incorrect PTIN evidently since 2014. I have the original confirmation letter here in file which I will access when time is available but I swear it confirmed my old number. Of course, the SERVICE never makes an error do they ?

• Like 1

I thought so as well. I not only accessed my PTIN account but called them on their toll free number. The number provided is indeed correct. So much for all that "we do not call you stuff". I suppose they felt it was urgent. Go figure. 😖 Just what an ageing tax guy needs at the end of a trying season !! I went to the medicine cabinet and took two blood pressure pills. 😄 Just kidding youall.

Before I return to my day job. The operative question here is. Why did the much ballyhhooed IRS efile computer system not immediately reject my first return filed in 2014 for God's sake for using an incorrect PTIN number? I have filed for almost six years using an incorrect number and good Lord !!! they are just now catching it ? Them budget cuts must have done them in. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ignored a phone call that my carrier identified as "SPAM! US Gov." But, they left a message, so I listened to it. It was a nice lady calling in response to my FOIA letter to get a list of my POAs. She thought she was missing the copy of my driver's license/identification. I called her back and had her tell me what she received; she found everything she needed in all the pages I'd already faxed in. I received my POA list in the mail. Sometimes the government DOES call us!!

• Like 1

This is true.  Some years ago I posted here that I had a message from the PTIN desk that my PTIN may have been compromised.  I called them with the number I had on file and sure enough they issued me a new PTIN.

And as a note, there were no fraudulent returns filed under my number so their system worked well, for me anyway.

• Like 1

It's those peripheral functions, such as PTIN, FOIA, etc., that seem to call. The IRS for income tax related issues does not initiate contact via telephone. I've had IRS call after an issue is being worked on via mail, email, etc.  (I did have a treasury agent knock on my door at 7:30 am one year; I wish he'd called. Scared my husband.)

• Like 1