ATX Community

Signing Form 8879

Christian

4 hours ago, Christian said:

Has the Service allowed modification of the requirement that a client sign the Form 8879 in light of this pandemic or must we still require them to sign thus risking exposure ?

I haven't heard of any modifications to clients having to sign.  Most of my clients print their 8879's, sign them and then either scan or text them to me.  Like Lion, some use the mail slot.  Next year it's all about E-signing.

• Like 3

Hmm, new skill for me.  How does one print a text?  I greatly discourage clients from using my cell for anything and, in fact, only those clients that are also personal friends have my cell number.  And about the last thing I want to do is constantly check my phone for client info.  If they can test, imo, they can email and I can save to their file easily.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Hmm, new skill for me.  How does one print a text?  I greatly discourage clients from using my cell for anything and, in fact, only those clients that are also personal friends have my cell number.  And about the last thing I want to do is constantly check my phone for client info.  If they can test, imo, they can email and I can save to their file easily.

Save the picture of the text 8879 to your phone.  Attach that picture to an email and email it to yourself.  You can print from there.  Some folks may be able to print from their phones?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Oop, forgot to add, with the data that is on the 8879 I should think that texting would be extremely risky.  I am now loving Verifyle (save the clunky part about changing signatures, separate email addresses for joint signers) and wish I had done it/known about such an inexpensive option sooner than this year.

Extremely?  I think any method has risk, some more than others.  Not sure texting qualifies as extremely....but maybe it does.  It's not a common method for me, but I have used it before.  

A text is not completely safe, I certainly wouldn't call it extremely dangerous. Texts are encrypted as they fly through the air - it's only at the phone company and on your phone that they are vulnerable.

My FBI client who refuses to email anything even if encrypted, will text me documents.

There are two camera apps that are useful instead of only taking and e-mailing a picture.  They are Genius Scan and CamScanner.  The apps are available for both android and apple.  The user takes a picture with a smart phone and the app convert it to pdf format and files it in a folder.  Several scans can be added to the folder then the entire folder can be e-mailed to the preparer.  

• Like 2

It's not on my instructions to clients, but I have some young ones who text me everything. This year, even more of that from clients without printers.

I have a very old iPhone 6 (Plus or whatever the larger one is) and you can touch the picture, touch the icon that looks like a square with an arrow coming out of it pointing up, touch Mail, and type in your email address.

Of course, I delete it from my iPhone and my computer email after saving in that client's file on my computer. I still keep a paper folder of 8879s/W-2s each year.

1 hour ago, Joel said:

There are two camera apps that are useful instead of only taking and e-mailing a picture.  They are Genius Scan and CamScanner.  The apps are available for both android and apple.  The user takes a picture with a smart phone and the app convert it to pdf format and files it in a folder.  Several scans can be added to the folder then the entire folder can be e-mailed to the preparer.  

I just learned you can use Google Drive to do the same thing.

1. Open Google Drive app on your phone
  2. Click the + sign
  3. Choose scan
  4. Take picture
  5. Click checkmark
  6. At this point, you can click the + sign to add more pages, click the circle arrow to take a better picture, or click the checkmark to say you're done.
  7. When you're done, you name the file and it's saved to your drive.

It does a really nice job of turning a photo into a nicely cropped PDF scan, and even tries to make the PDF searchable.

Clients could share a drive folder with you, or you could share a folder with them and you have a free portal!

After you download files from Drive, you can delete them, if you like.

• Like 4

If the taxpayer uses the e-signature option, the ERO must use software that includes identity verification. The software must record the following data:

Digital image of the signed form;
Date and time of the signature;
Taxpayer’s computer IP address (remote transaction only);
Taxpayer’s login identification — user name (remote transaction only);
Results of the identity verification check validating that the taxpayer’s ID verification was successful; and
The e-signature method used to sign the record.   

From: https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/frequently-asked-questions-for-irs-efile-signature-authorization

Does the e-signing method you're using meet these requirements?

Are these requirements BS because if the taxpayer signs with a pen and emails/texts it to you, how do you know it was really them signing it?

CCH's eSign is IRS compliant and compliant with all states except NY that does not accept any electronic signatures. But, I have clients that fax me 8879s or shove them through my mail slot... (Although, the last two using my mail slot signed them on the hood of their car in my driveway, so I watched them through my window!)

• Haha 2

Yes, the single email address is an issue with Verifyle as is the requirement (I didn't know ahead of time) to match the name of the account with the legal name.  So Bill Smith with email bill.smith@whatever shows up for signature as Bill Smith not William.  And neither of us can easily change the name to William. There is a really clunky way to do it but a couple of clients have not managed that. And a joint return requires two separate email addresses or the clunky change.  Verifyle techs are apparently aware and working on a better solution. Not everyone has a printer to print out for physical signatures, either.  It's been an adventure!

You highlight in the software the areas you need for signatures, dates, initials or special (which didn't work for me.  The program automatically inputs the name which is the name on the account so don't use Bill for William, etc.  Here is a link to several videos you would likely find helpful.  No printer or toner needed!  Just a computer or even a phone as there is an app.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOP_R1kBITnCyU4QoDqkpAA/videos

Aye, there's the rub.  All the documents that they can manage to have in pdf form (download 1099's, W-2's, etc.) they can just upload to the site. You would receive a notice that you have a private message.  If the client does not have a scanner to save as pdf's, well, one of my clients took photographs of everything and uploaded from her phone (I guess, didn't ask)  as bmp's.  I had to finagle a bit to convert to pdf's but we got it done.