ATX Community

Stimulus Payment Scams

Max W

This just came from Drake.

Beware of Stimulus Payment Scams

Tax Professionals — here’s what taxpayers need to know about stimulus payment processing in order to protect themselves from scammers:

Be alert for phone scams. 
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Treasury Department, or any other government agency will not contact you by phone to collect information for stimulus payment processing. Period.

Be alert for phishing scams. 
Government agencies will not email or text you to collect information for stimulus payment processing. Watch for suspicious emails or texts with links or attachments requesting information for processing stimulus deposits or checks. If you receive one, do not click the link or open the attachment. It’s a scam. Delete it.

Be alert for state-related scams.
State agencies will also not call, email or text you to collect information or a fee to process a stimulus payment. To date, no state has introduced their own version of a stimulus payment.

As of now, we are only aware of one communication a taxpayer will receive from the IRS. No later than 15 days after distributing a stimulus payment, the IRS is required to mail a notice to the taxpayer indicating the payment amount, whether the payment was mailed or deposited, and a phone number to call if the taxpayer did not receive the payment. 

Victims or targets of stimulus payment scams should report it immediately to the Federal Trade Commission, www.ftc.gov/complaint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I received 5 emails that supposedly came from NEworks, which is the NE DOL. They claim to be separation of employment forms and say that there is a form attached. There are no attachments that I can see. There is a link to unsubscribe, but I won't touch anything. The email address appears to be correct, but I have emailed twice and called the DOL for confirmation that they are doing this. It's to my public email for the business and I have been getting so much crap through there that I am super leary. They would have to be a request for my payroll clients, but there is not way to determine which one it could be. I have not received any response from Nebraska yet, so I am just holding tight.