ATX Community

I Need Help Posting

Lion EA

I cannot post to Judy or to Catherine or to the topic ATX 1040 Tax Covers or start a new topic. This began the day the ATX 1040 Tax Covers began and has progressed to this afternoon, blocking me from more and more threads and more and more members. I don't know why I'm blocked. I would appreciate any help posting on the board.

image.png

• Like 1

I sent a message to Eric just now. Maybe he will have some idea.

I remember you had similar trouble before but thought it was resolved with a new computer.  

It may be helpful for him to know your OS, browser, AV, and any error message that appears when the posting is blocked. 

I agree with Judy that it's interesting that you had this problem before and it resolved (temporarily) when you got a new computer.

Can you think of any software, plugins, apps, browser plugins, anything at all that you may have installed or updated between the time that it was working as expected and when the site broke again? 

Antivirus/security applications, ad blocking plugins, etc could be blocking certain files required by the site to function properly, but that's just a guess.  I think I remember that the problems you had before had a visual component as well... the site didn't look as it should have, but you didn't realize there was an issue with how the site looked until it was resolved and you were finally seeing is it should be.

I could be wrong about that, my memory isn't the best.  If anyone can help me find that old thread, it might be helpful too.

For now, what browser are you using?  Can you try using the site in a browser other than what you normally use?  (If you use Microsoft Edge, try Chrome or Firefox, etc).  Also try logging into the site while using Incognito mode, or Private Browsing.

• Like 1

Interesting.  I'll add one more question for Lion.  Has the site has reverted to a similar state where you can no longer see those profile details when browsing a thread?

(I'm still curious about the the details from my previous post too)

My earlier issue was no green donors label showing by my avatar. The green donors labels show for me and everyone else. This week's problem is not at all similar.

Brand new Dell Win10 Chrome. I can do any other site. And, I can do anything on this site EXCEPT respond to the thread ATX 1040 Tax Covers or start a new topic with that title or private message Judy or Catherine. I have messaged Rita. And, I've replied to lots of topics and I've started new topics.

I have done absolutely nothing different, new since the first week in January with my new computer. I had a tax software update yesterday, but this problem has been going on for a few days.

How do I clean my browser and will I lose saved passwords if I do that?

I just tried sending Judy a mail via this site again. My mail just sits in the box, but the Subject line disappears and says in red it's required. There is no error message, just not sending.

I've been in and out of this site, in and out of Chrome, and rebooted computer. My messages still sit waiting to be sent to Judy, waiting to be sent to Catherine, and waiting to post on ATX 1040 Tax Covers. I think every other post has post to threads on this site except for that.

I've had a private message from Catherine, and back and forth in response to her. However, my original message TO Catherine still sits there telling me Subject Required. Yes, I type in a subject, but it disappears as soon as I click on Send or Submit. Same with Judy's. And, same with that one thread ATX 1040 Tax Covers. I thought I rebooted after my latest tries, but the outgoing but not-going-anywhere messages are still in the box. I've been able to post in lots of other threads today.

That is very strange. I definitely don't have you blocked from messaging me.  I do recall that at one time way back I had that same disappearing subject line but don't recall how it was resolved. I think it went away on its own and I never figured out why.

I looked at that topic and there hasn't been any changes to it except that I edited my own post, probably right after I posted and saw some typo or something.

If you have another browser, maybe try it to see if you are having the same issues with it.

To clear the cache in Chrome desktop version, open the browser and click the 3 vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner, then "More Tools", then choose "clear browsing data".   The 3 choices under "Basic" are probably all checked. You can adjust the time frame to clear, and I always choose "all time" for that.  Click on the "Advanced" tab to make additional choices of what else to clear, or to uncheck the "passwords and other sign-in data" to keep that.  Once you've selected items to delete, click "clear data" at the bottom right.

Tried IE, but have to track down my password! Back in Chrome but after clearing data. I tried messaging Judy and Catherine and got the usual Message Sent, but message still sits in box with subject gone from subject box. Did you ladies get Test messages from me? And, I was able to post a Test message on that thread that would not accept for the last five days. Thank you all. Clearing out everything seemed to shake at least most things loose.

Most things are working here. But, I cannot post on that one thread. And, while messaging with Catherine, I realized that many times when I try to post, I get kicked off this site. All other tabs are open and sites still functioning. Just this site. It started the middle of last week, no later than Thursday. It happened to me several times Monday. I'm not so sure it's a Chrome thing, because I have seven Chrome tabs open and visit a dozen sites multiple times per day (plus link to a dozen more from news stories and earlier sites), and this is the only one that kicks me off.

• Like 1

It's almost certainly not related to Chrome in general--it's a popular browser and there aren't any other reports of similar issues form other people using Chrome.  The software that runs this site is complex, though, and there are lots of different ways that third party applications, browser plugins, etc could cause this site to behave incorrectly that wouldn't necessarily affect something like consuming media/browsing news sites.

First, I saw that you posted many times in that thread, although I've cleaned up the test replies just now.  I even signed in using your account (something only the Site Admin can do) and was able to post there, and send a message to Judy without any problem... so the issue is most likely not with your account itself. 

I did notice that there can sometimes be a slight delay before the content editor opens when sending a private message... if you try to fill in a name and subject and hit send before the editor opens, the message will not be sent.  All three fields (To, Subject, Message) must be filled out before it can be sent or else you'll be reminded that required fields have not been filled. See image below.

Second, if that's not the issue, the very next thing you should try is a password reset so that you know what your password is for this site.  Then try logging in with Edge or Firefox (or IE if you must) to see if you can reproduce the issues.  I'm suggesting this not because I think it's a Chrome problem, but because we need to remove variables from the equation to narrow down where the problem is.  If you have problems in Chrome but not Firefox or Edge, and we know the problem isn't a Chrome problem, then we know it's a Chrome *configuration* problem, or a Chrome Plugin problem, or a third party (security?) application that is affecting Chrome.

If all else fails, we can try to set up a remote desktop thing so I can watch you reproduce the problems, and seeing it might provide additional context.  If you like, I could check out other areas like antivirus software or browser plugins to see if there is anything likely to be problematic installed/running.

image.png

• Like 2

Thanx, Eric. Yes, the box opens, I type in a Message and To and Subject and hit Send and Subject disappears so box just sits there without Sending. I put the Subject back in, and it disappears again. It happens a small percentage of the time, but was happening ALL the times I tried to message Judy and Catherine and when I tried to post on that one thread and fewer times when posting to other threads. I seem to be able to Post and Message most of the time now. I also get kicked out of this site about half the times a message will not Send or Post. I get a screen that says it cannot load; after doing some other things, I log back on. Catherine said that she's NOT been kicked off over the last week. All of these things have been going on since the middle of last week. I have been doing nothing except preparing taxes, reading/posting on tax sites, and sending/receiving email via Outlook. I brought this up in case others were having problems. But, if I'm the only one, I'll research it after I get more tax returns off my desk. Thank you for all you do, Eric.

• Like 1