ATX Community

alternative message board - stay away!

Catherine

I had signed up for the NAEA message board, getting daily summaries, some time ago.  I rarely look, and have never bothered to respond.  Well, I responded to one and let me warn you all to stay away from that group!  First off, any response seems to reset your daily summary to an email with every. bleeping. message. posted - and I could find no way to reset that (ended up unsubscribing completely).  Then, the board seems to be full of full-of-themselves persnickety nit-pickers who have NO concept of taking facts and circumstances and doing the best you can do with the information at hand.  

Stay here, where we fuss at each other in love, and understand that we're all trying to do our best for our clients, not trying to prove how we can out-cite everyone else.  Jeezle louizle I love you guys and just got my nose rubbed in how much.  And Rita - there are some folks over on another board who could use some of your hugs.  Just sayin'!

• Like 8

Been there, done that. I still lurk/read. And, sometimes one of the cites is exactly what I was looking for. (Also, you can learn what speaker you might want to take a class from and what speaker you definitely would not!) But, NO sense of humor and no patience for us preparers who are trying our best, like you say.

• Like 4

Yes, stay away from groups or service like that. My state society set up something similar last week and I didn't pay much attention thinking I could check it out more fully when time allowed.  All members were automatically signed up with the default setting to receive an email for every post, and the director asked everyone to chime in with their favorite color to test out how the site works.  I woke up the next morning to a very full email box filled with their one word answers.  I had a momentary response of WTbleep, and before I'd had any coffee too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Catherine said:

I had signed up for the NAEA message board, getting daily summaries, some time ago.  I rarely look, and have never bothered to respond.  Well, I responded to one and let me warn you all to stay away from that group!  First off, any response seems to reset your daily summary to an email with every. bleeping. message. posted - and I could find no way to reset that (ended up unsubscribing completely).  Then, the board seems to be full of full-of-themselves persnickety nit-pickers who have NO concept of taking facts and circumstances and doing the best you can do with the information at hand.  

Stay here, where we fuss at each other in love, and understand that we're all trying to do our best for our clients, not trying to prove how we can out-cite everyone else.  Jeezle louizle I love you guys and just got my nose rubbed in how much.  And Rita - there are some folks over on another board who could use some of your hugs.  Just sayin'!

persnickety...  placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy......requiring a particularly precise or careful approach

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

When I became an EA I signed up for the NAEA. You were required to be a member of the state affiliated group and every year I'd get a letter about their state meeting about 2 weeks before the event and long after it was full and signing up was impossible. The first year of that happening I thought about how I had only become a member 4-5 months prior so maybe it was a one-off. Second year, well that's odd. Third year I decided it had to have been intentional.

I wasn't getting any mailings except that one when it was way too late to attend.

• Like 4