ATX Community

how to keep organized - with POAs

schirallicpa

I find myself often digging thru files looking for 2848s.  They seem to get put in the tax folder.  They are frequently lost or forgotten about.  Or have expired and I need a new one.  Have considered starting an excel sheet to try to keep them sorted, but you know how that goes.  Have considered separate filing cabinet to keep them in.   How do others in this forum keep these sorted out.  It's one of those extras that I am getting more and more of, and I need to get a handle on keeping track of. 

Would love your input.

I keep a single paper folder for each client and a file on my computer  with subfolders for each year for each client plus a misc. folder for misc. items that carry over, sort of a permanent file. I keep the 2848's in the paper folder for handy reference and every tax year I review it as that is what I use with original documents until returning to client. It works for me.

I devote a tab in my tracking spreadsheet to federal and NYS powers-of-attorney and info authorizations -- shown in an oldish 'Snip'.  I keep it next to the tab for current-year returns-in-process and the tab for current-year e-filing.  Simply having the tab adjacent my hottest two reminds me to keep its contents uptodate, I believe -- the reverse of "out of sight out of mind".  Like Abby, I have only virtual files now, and keep an image of the signed copy of the PoA alongside other client documents of like period.

POA tracking.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1