ATX Community

2018 Tax Return

peggysioux5

I am currently working on a 2018 tax return for taxpayer and tax return cannot be electronically filed due to ex-husband already claiming children even though taxpayer had more than 50% custody.  Being paper returns are not going to be processed for some time, what is the best way to handle so that taxpayer can receive stimulus payment?  My first thought was to file as single with no dependents just to get tax return electronically filed and then file an amended.  However, there is a tax liability if taxpayer files single and she really doesn't have the monies to pay the liability to get bank info into IRS system.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peggy Sioux

Would 2019 show the same level of income and balance due, or is there a chance it may have a refund that you could file soon?

In the press conference yesterday, it was stated that direct deposit of these funds will begin next week.  I'm not sure how true that is, but it puts a new light on trying to get returns like your client's into the system sooner than later. 

2 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Would 2019 show the same level of income and balance due, or is there a chance it may have a refund that you could file soon?

In the press conference yesterday, it was stated that direct deposit of these funds will begin next week.  I'm not sure how true that is, but it puts a new light on trying to get returns like your client's into the system sooner than later. 

She is going to have the same issue for 2019 as the ex has already filed for 2019 as well so her return will be rejected if efiled.

13 hours ago, peggysioux5 said:

I am currently working on a 2018 tax return for taxpayer and tax return cannot be electronically filed due to ex-husband already claiming children even though taxpayer had more than 50% custody.  Being paper returns are not going to be processed for some time, what is the best way to handle so that taxpayer can receive stimulus payment?  My first thought was to file as single with no dependents just to get tax return electronically filed and then file an amended.  However, there is a tax liability if taxpayer files single and she really doesn't have the monies to pay the liability to get bank info into IRS system.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peggy Sioux

In another thread, Possi mentioned filing an extension showing a $2 balance due that would be deducted from the checking account to get the account on file with the IRS.  I don't know if that will work but it might be worth a try. 

• Like 1

Sounds like the magic "portal" is finally arriving next week.

Or, can you e-file S and have direct debit for only $10 or so now? She has until 15 July to pay, so no reason to pay all of it now. Then you give her the paper amendment to mail as soon as her original is processed.

I doubt your return will get in time for the stimulus but there will be a website next week or so where you will be able to enter you bank account for the stimulus to be deposited. So the extension request for 2019 and paying a few dollars will be a good idea. Also, keep in mind that if your client doesn't get the stimulus when you file 2020.

The last time I sent a return in your situation, my client was able to get the child tax credit for his 5 children and EIC without any question from the IRS but I sent school records and a notarized letter from my client explaining the time the children slept at his apartment. The IRS sent his full refund despite the fact the the mother and grand mother had claimed the children.

On 4/9/2020 at 4:00 PM, peggysioux5 said:

file as single with no dependents just to get tax return electronically filed and then file an amended. 

You have a long road ahead in obtaining the dependents and related tax benefits for your client.  The amended process will add months to the delay under normal circumstances.

You will have to prove that your client had custody for more than 1/2 of the year.  But that phase will not begin until you file and then receive a letter from the IRS requesting documentation. 

I have been working on a similar case for two years (for a 2017 return) and recently filed for an appeal.

One thing you might have in your favor is that the IRS tends to favor the mother.