ATX Community

Rental of Time Share

Patrick Michael

Happy Easter everyone!

Client could not use her time share in 2019 and was able to rent out 3 of her 14 days.  She received a 1099 for the $645 of rent and had $190 in commissions and other expenses related to the rental .  Since this was a one time event and she is not trying to make a profit I was thinking of putting the $455 net income on line 21 as other income, not subject to SE tax.

Would this be proper treatment or should it go on a Sch E?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Catherine said:

What happened to the rules about rentals that lasted fewer than 10 days?  Do those not apply to a timeshare?  Or did they go poof while I wasn't looking?

That rule where the rental is less than the greater of 14 days or 10% of days rented is supposed to apply only to rentals of a personal dwelling unit (second residence or vacation home), and in this case the timeshare wouldn't qualify as a second residence because the fact pattern says that the taxpayer wasn't able to use it at all last year. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 9:58 PM, Max W said:

If you net it out, which is not proper, it won't match the the 1099.

Do the Sch E. It won't take long with just a few entries and you can charge the client for it.

Good point. I didn't think of that.  If I put it on Sch E would it have to be depreciated and that depreciation "recaptured" when sold (which is what I'm trying to avoid)?  How about putting the $645 on Line 21 and then a negative amount on Line 21 to net it out?  Or just putting the $645 and eating the tax?