ATX Community

Get refund that was applied

JackieCPA

8 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

You can't e-file a superseding return, and the IRS is NOT processing paper returns.

It was just a thought.

The IRS is accepting paper returns and they will be processed in August the the post marked stamp will stand, correct?

But it is good to know that once you applied a refund for next year, it is hard or impossible to get it back.

I've only heard that they are not processing any mailed returns cause there is no one there to handle them. However, they are processing EFTPS enrollments. Just finished one tonight that was applied for last week. I had a client mail a trust return certified mail with return receipt. That was two days before the announcement by the IRS that trust return filing deadline had been extended as well. That's twice the IRS has gotten me this year. I did inform the client that the mailing receipt with the tracking number was evidence of the mailing in the event it gets lost. After this mess is over, I feel there will be another jumbo mess coming. Am I the only one????

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 10:09 AM, Randall said:

I thought I read somewhere in all this for people to go ahead and mail paper returns, they just wouldn't be processed yet.

Anything paper filed, will take at least a year to be processed.  IRS is renting trailers to store all paper returns, until this virus thing is over.  Paper filing will mean extremely long wait for it to be processed.