ATX Community

IRS Get My Payment Tool

ETax847

Have you heard anything regarding the IRS "Get My Payment" tool for those taxpayers who had no tax liability. Currently the tool asks if the taxpayer received a refund or owed money, but does not account for those that didnt do either. Thanks for your help!

If they had no tax liability and did not file 2018 or 2019 returns, they need to use the Nonfilers part of that app to file an EIP return to get in the system to be able to get an EIP. Once their EIP return is processed, then they can use the Get My Payment part of the app. Unless, they are a SS or RR or VA recipient, then they do NOT have to file an EIP return.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ETax847 said:

This person has no tax liability, but did file his 2019 tax returns.  What then?

In that case, they are not able to use the tool. Similarly, those who chose to have overpayments fully applied to next year's estimates and showed -0- refund are also not able to use the tool. 

• Like 1

If he filed 2019 and IF it has been processed and IF his information has been uploaded to the app and IF his EIP has not been sent yet, then the Get My Payment might work for him IF he gets in when it's not overwhelmed and IF he inputs everything the way the app is looking for it and IF.... If he didn't get a direct deposit for 2019, he can try the part of the app that lets him add his banking information, using all the preceding IFs. Or, wait for his check to arrive.

16 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

If he filed 2019 and IF it has been processed and IF his information has been uploaded to the app and IF his EIP has not been sent yet, then the Get My Payment might work for him IF he gets in when it's not overwhelmed and IF he inputs everything the way the app is looking for it and IF.... If he didn't get a direct deposit for 2019, he can try the part of the app that lets him add his banking information, using all the preceding IFs. Or, wait for his check to arrive.

Nope, I've tried almost each day for my mother and this is the first day I got a difference message.  Her return was filed almost 2 months ago, had AGI and a significant LTCL that I'm tracking, but after deductions had zero liability and zero refund or balance due. I was never able to get to the banking information to change it and kept getting an error message. Obviously she does get SSA benefits, so I wasn't terribly worried but would have liked to enter banking information.  

Today I tried again and got through inputting her SSN, birthdate, street address and zip code and got the message shown below.  So much for the IRS checking with SSA to retrieve banking information. Her SSA benes have been direct deposited for years! 

Payment Status

We scheduled your check to be mailed on April 24, 2020 to the address we have on file for you.

We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

If you need additional help or do not receive your payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

The IRS said they are getting information from the SSA for people with no filing requirement who did not file in either 2018 or 2019 but DO receive SS benefits via DD. It sounds like your mother had a filing requirement and actually filed tax returns, so the IRS is doing what they said by mailing her a check IF her 2019 return did not have a DD. The last IRS message I read, not today so it may be old news, said they were still working with the SSA to get information to upload to their app.

18 hours ago, jklcpa said:

In that case, they are not able to use the tool. Similarly, those who chose to have overpayments fully applied to next year's estimates and showed -0- refund are also not able to use the tool. 

Judy, have you read that for certain, or is it just based on experience so far?  I know they still haven't upload all of 2018 and 2019 returns into the new system, but I hadn't heard that they were automatically going for paper checks for those SE folks.

57 minutes ago, GLJEANNE said:

Judy, have you read that for certain, or is it just based on experience so far?  I know they still haven't upload all of 2018 and 2019 returns into the new system, but I hadn't heard that they were automatically going for paper checks for those SE folks.

No, that isn't written anywere.  You'll have to try it to find out.  I can tell you again that if the retun's bottom line shows zero for refund or balance due, there is nowhere on that IRS page to enter that. The page where that is entered has only the two boxes, one for balance due and one for refund. It doesn't allow for people that have neither refund or money owed.  It is my understanding that the IRS system can't finish authenticating the person as the real taxpayer. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 12:39 PM, jklcpa said:

No, that isn't written anywere.  You'll have to try it to find out.  I can tell you again that if the retun's bottom line shows zero for refund or balance due, there is nowhere on that IRS page to enter that. The page where that is entered has only the two boxes, one for balance due and one for refund. It doesn't allow for people that have neither refund or money owed.  It is my understanding that the IRS system can't finish authenticating the person as the real taxpayer. 

I just now helped a client who had a zero figure.  My experience was the same as Judy's - we could not get it to authenticate no matter what we tried.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JohnH said:

I just now helped a client who had a zero figure.  My experience was the same as Judy's - we could not get it to authenticate no matter what we tried.

Just coming back to support what others are reporting now.  This same client went back in this morning and completed the process of entering their bank account information.  They first entered the '0" and didn't check either button.  That did not work.  Then they chose  the "Refund" button and entered "0" as the amount.  It worked fine. 

One thing I will mention for clients who aren't able to get past the first screen.  The abbreviations for "Street", "Circle", "Boulevard", "Drive" , etc must conform to the USPS guidelines.  That's true even if the original return used them incorrectly.  So anyone who keeps failing the initial screen should jump over to the USPS Zip code lookup and verify that the address they are entering conforms to those guidelines. 

• Like 1