ATX Community

Client Return Already Efiled

Christian

A client return has been fraudulently efiled and I of course have got the rejection notice. Does anyone have the IRS number for her to call to discuss this ? The WK rep of course did not provide it. I have printed a paper copy for her to mail along with the reject notice with applicable code attached. This is a first for me and unnerving to say the least.

Sounds like she gave info to the scammers!

File on paper with the covering rejection notice and Form 14039 and requested attachments. Police report. Consumer Protection in her state. FTC.gov/IDtheft has some good information on all the things to do. Apply for an IP PIN. Place fraud alerts with all credit agencies. Order credit reports to report errors. Freeze all credit. SSA. www.irs.gov/identitytheft.

• Like 5

I have a client whose returns for the last 3 years have been rejected and had to be paper filed because someone had used his SSN and name on a tax return.

It turns out, his father was claiming him as a dependent even though son is in his forties.  I prepped his returns for a while, so it happened after that.  The father is a little strange, completely paranoid.  He used to carry his tax papers and computer around with him on a suitcase cart, because he told me that people go into his apartment and move things around so he couldn't find them.  It was all part of a scheme by the landlord who wanted to get him to move out so the rent could be raised in rent controlled SF.  This included playing loud sounds and flashing lights at night to keep him up.   

The next time I saw me he told me his computer had been stolen right off the cart in a supermarket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Christian said:

No she files every year. She says she filed out some document concerning Covid 19 which needed her adjusted gross income. About all I have.

Ask her specifically if she did this on the IRS site, or exactly where and to whom she provided the AGI. If she was checking to see if her stimulus check was in the works, that site does ask for AGI as part of the i.d. verification process, and it's also possible that she could have filed an EIP return.  I've had some calls from clients that tried all of the areas on that site trying to find a way to enter banking information, including where it specifically said that person should not use.  Of course, they tried all of that before calling me. Grrr!  

Did she already have the client copy of her return before you tried to e-file, otherwise where did she get the AGI to use for wherever she did what she did?

There are more and more scammers out there trying to get taxpayers' information that includes emails and phone calls that make it seem that providing information will speed up receipt of the stimulus check. Finding out what exactly she did will tell you how best to help her going forward.

• Like 1

I was mistaken. Her query was for the EIP supposedly entered on the IRS website. She used her 2018 agi and feels strongly that this is the cause of her problem. In any event I prepared her a copy to mail in as well as the Form 14039 with attachments to fax to the Service. She has worked for the government from time to time and I am certain her employee file was acquired in that hack of the OPM some years back. I advised her that her refund would be a long time coming as it will sit in a trailer in Kansas until the Service is back up to snuff.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 7:38 PM, Jack from Ohio said:

Anything paper filed, will take at least a year to be processed.  IRS is renting trailers to store all paper returns, until this virus thing is over.  Paper filing will mean extremely long wait for it to be processed.

There is no way it will take a year.  90% of returns are efiled leaving 10% of 150 million, or 15 million paper returns.  40% of returns had been filed by the end of Feb.  That would leave a max of 9 million paper returns to be processed.  Of those, there are many on extension and those who will put if off until 7/15. Let's say it is 10% of each.  That would leave approx. 7 million returns to be processed, which is almost the number processed in Jan-Feb.   

IRS mail room employees have gone back to work, which means the IRS is ramping up to start processing returns.  If the processing starts June 1, it should be caught up in no more than 3 months, or less.   

• Like 1