ATX Community

switching from Dell PC to IMac.

schirallicpa

Apple computers are very sickly when trying to use tax software.  

Take the Apple computers back, and buy PCs.

If you change to  Apple, you will have never ending problems, because software companies will not spend development money on software, that less than 10% of the computers out there can use.

DO NOT BITE the poison apple.

• Like 1

One of my clients has only Macs and wants her company's books kept only on her computers. I hate QuickBooks for Mac. It's a couple years behind the PC version. Then, I have to export her financials to Excel for her accountant who uses only PCs.

I have another client who uses a Mac for himself for radio production, but has PCs for the rest of his staff. He has to use a program (Parallels?) on his Mac to be able to produce documents that his clients can open, Word and Excel, for instance.

I don't think much tax software is written for Macs.

Research carefully, or you'll end up paying more less useful computers.

• Like 1

I've never used a mac.  But I have heard for years that they are not too good for the ordinary business software programs.  I have a couple of clients using QB on a mac.  It does not allow the accountants copy function.  They have to convert their file to PC and I use it but can't export any adjusting entries.  I have to give them a printed list of AJEs and rely on them to make the entries correctly.  One client doesn't even bother.

• Like 1

On a personal note, I have hated Apple from the beginning.  They stole their name from the Beatles.  I've always wondered how they could have used the name Apple.  Something to do with a different type of business.  They were dead in the water, then came the iPod, and the iPhone, and the 'i' everything else.  Now they're the king of the mountain, cash flush.  But I use PC, other phone on Android OS.

Other than the iTunes software on my PC years ago, I've never used an Apple product that I know.

I have a client who insisted on buying Apple computers and he's had never ending problems with Quickbooks. I find it odd that someone would pay MORE to buy an Apple product and then use essentially an emulator to operate it as a Windows machine. My nephew is a project manager in Cupertino and he tried to sell me on the idea and his own father told me not to do it.

I think that like most tools, it depends on what you are going to use it do as to what you should buy.  If I were in a business where I was primarily editing video, I might buy a MAC because I hear they are great for that.  For accounting and spreadsheets, I will stick to PC for now.  I do like my iPhone and my iPad, but my computers are all windows. 

• Like 1

As a programmer:  The "features" of the different OS' are enough there is no one good programming tool to make an application appear the same on all platforms.  There are some tools which can be used, but the resulting app is so "plain jane", it looks unprofessional IMO.  If there was such a multi platform programming tool, I would give up my 20+ year tool immediately, but there just is not one that is good enough.  While I am a small player in the game, the 800lb gorillas also agree, and if they have not done away with their apple apps, they are so outdated or limited, they are hardly functional.  (Referring to general business apps.)

Once there was good desktop publishing for Windows, the last/only niche for apple machines was removed.

Web based apps are a possibility, but that seems to have gone nowhere either, such as chrome books.

As with VHS over Betamax, the consumer has spoken, loudly, so unless you need or want to use an app which is only available or best works on a non Windows machine, Windows is the only practical way to go.

• Like 1

After my second ipod died from a 5 inch drop onto a table, and I saw online this was common and due to an inherently cheap design of the switch, I vowed to never give the evil Apple corporation another dime of my money. This decision was cemented when I found out my android phone sounded much better than my ipod ever did.

• Like 1

I was a Mac user running Windows for about 5-6 years, here are the pros and cons:

Pro

iMacs looks nice

The keyboard and mouse are fancy

You can proudly say you own a Mac 

Cons

Expensive upfront 

No room for upgrade besides memory unless if you purchase the expensive Mac Pro

You have to buy OEM windows and office which you add to the cost of the Mac computer 

You have to decide how to partition the hard drive to allocate space OS and windows operating system.  I would do 50/50 on a 500gb iMac.

Just alone windows operating software  takes a good amount of space

Once you add various years of ATX you start running out of space

Like any windows machines they get slow and takes 5 to minutes before you can open any programs

Forgot about quickbooks, various version also takes up space

You cannot go with the lowest/cheapest mac, memory and a large HD is a must = paying more vs a PC

I haven’t dabbled with Macs for a couple of years now, but the only thing I know they paper thin now and very few USB ports and cannot be upgraded after you buy, that easily like before.

good luck