ATX Community

stimulus check

Marie

I had the opposite.  Child was still a student, living at home.  In 2018 made under $4200, claimed as other QR by parents.  In 2019, same support status, but made over $4200.  I had his return checked as being claimed as a dependent by someone else (incorrectly).  Parents say he can't get the stimulus check because that was checked.  I have amended the return but told them it would be a while before IRS processes.  

2 hours ago, Lion EA said:

The 24-year-old can get his stimulus credit on his 2020 return filed in 2021. Unless the IRS sends stimulus payments based on amended returns when they are finally processed.

I let them know the paper returns would be a long time in processing.  The parents are going to advance him until he gets it.

32 minutes ago, Randall said:

I let them know the paper returns would be a long time in processing.  The parents are going to advance him until he gets it.

Good result!  Be thankful the parents didn't ask you to advance him until he gets it. :) 😬

• Like 1

Well, at least he is a US citizen.  Thousands of checks went out to foreign students, many of them not even living here anymore.  Apparently there was a software error in  coding of the type of visa they were here on.  They all filed tax returns, but used 1040 instead of 1040NR.

I have a couple people receive stimulus checks that shouldn't have as well.

I'm also told that the IRS will not be chasing down to collect money from mistakes such as these.  I'm happy for the stimulus but believe there is so much political attachment that it would be counter to the intent of govt to collect for their own mistakes.