ATX Community

Nonfiler NonSocSec & Stimulus

Randall

Got a call from a former client.  She hasn't had to file for past few years.  She isn't receiving SocSec yet.  She doesn't have a computer to go to the online tool.  I see something about filing a simplified return in Rev. Proc. 2020-28.  Can I do this thru ATX and efile?  I think she may have some interest income and I was thinking I could just prepare a regular 2019 return inputting 1099-INT amount and efiling a return for her that way.  Anyone have this situation come up?

1 hour ago, Max W said:

Why couldn't you offer to enter the information for her?  

So he can get paid for doing a return?   Our services are not free...at least mine are not.   Randall can choose to do things for free, but he did not cause the individual's issue, so why shouldn't he be paid for fixing it?

Just my humble opinion.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1

Oh, Tom!  Get off your high horse.  I think Randall can speak for himself and charge or not charge as he sees fit.   In unusual times, caring people like to help others less fortunate than they are.     

BTW,  Is it your custom to charge for tax returns that are not needed? 

If I were going to prepare an EIP return, I would do it on my own software and not on the IRS portal. I would probably charge for it. Especially if not a client, hadn't been a client, not a relative of a client.

I have a couple of older clients who do not have to file, well would not need to file if they stopped withholding, but choose to file to start the SOL and just in case their income goes up and.... So we file to get their refunds. We talk about it each year, and they want to have some withholding, just in case. I charge them a small amount for preparing and e-filing their returns. We spend most of the time chatting and catching up. I think they want that more than they want to file a return!

I agree with Lion. Do it through your software and get a signed 8879 for it since it is a tax filing.  I wouldn't enter directly on the IRS site based on a phone call without some documentation and signature. How would that be covered by circ 230 or professional insurance? 

2 hours ago, Max W said:

Oh, Tom!  Get off your high horse.  I think Randall can speak for himself and charge or not charge as he sees fit.   In unusual times, caring people like to help others less fortunate than they are.     

BTW,  Is it your custom to charge for tax returns that are not needed? 

There was a little tongue in cheek in my post that did not translate very well without verbal nuance.   Sorry about that.

Tom
Modesto, CA

For the record, I probably won't charge.  A long time friend of the family.  But I was leaning toward doing the actual return thru the software.  I assume when this return is efiled, IRS will automatically put her in for the stimulus check.  Does anyone know?  I think I read somewhere that returns filed by Oct 15 would get the check in advance.  After that, they would have to wait to include it on their 2020 return.

Yes, filing 2018 or 2019, even if only an EIP 2019, gives the IRS the information they need to disburse an IEP payment. They have stated they will make payments through 31 December 2020. But, they haven't stated when they need taxpayer's information to get a payment out to them by year end. Remember, a taxpayer can still get their EIP credit or any remaining upward adjustment on their 2020 tax return in 2021.

13 hours ago, grandmabee said:

ATX does have the "simple return" that needs to be file.  Read the instruction, they is only certain boxes you fill out, different than regular return.  Instruction are in a "news" in the program.

Thanks.  I briefly looked, didn't know if it was a separate Form 1040.  So I'll check.

13 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Yes, filing 2018 or 2019, even if only an EIP 2019, gives the IRS the information they need to disburse an IEP payment. They have stated they will make payments through 31 December 2020. But, they haven't stated when they need taxpayer's information to get a payment out to them by year end. Remember, a taxpayer can still get their EIP credit or any remaining upward adjustment on their 2020 tax return in 2021.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, grandmabee said:

ATX does have the "simple return" that needs to be file.  Read the instruction, they is only certain boxes you fill out, different than regular return.  Instruction are in a "news" in the program.

Where in ATX do you mark to include the text EIP2020?  I'm not seeing it in the main data screen.

I didn't see a separate return for the simplified return.  The client did have a 1099-INT for $54 so I entered the info and was able to create an efile.  I also used the 'insert note' function to type EIP2020 at the top of the return.  Does anyone know if these notes are included in the IRS data received in the efile?  The efiling went thru and has been accepted.  I was just curious about the note inserted and the efiling process at IRS' end (for future reference).

22 minutes ago, Randall said:

I didn't see a separate return for the simplified return.  The client did have a 1099-INT for $54 so I entered the info and was able to create an efile.  I also used the 'insert note' function to type EIP2020 at the top of the return.  Does anyone know if these notes are included in the IRS data received in the efile?  The efiling went thru and has been accepted.  I was just curious about the note inserted and the efiling process at IRS' end (for future reference).

Here is a link to an ATX blog where it gives instructions on how to create a "simple" EIP return in the ATX software;:

https://myatx.blogspot.com/2020/04/form-updates-instructions-for-filing.html

For those that don't like to click links:

APR 14

More Form Updates & Instructions for Filing Simple Returns for Economic Impact Payment (Stimulus)

This morning, we released additional ATX form updates relating to the following:

• Federal & State 1040, business & fiduciary estimated payments and underpayment due date changes
  • Economic Impact Payment (EIP) or Stimulus Payment Update for $0 income tax returns 

E-filing Simple ATX Returns for EIP

To file a "simple" return for an individuals to receive Stimulus payments, follow the steps below.

Please read through this entire set of instructions as there are some specific notes for specific fields

Enter only the following data:

1. Filer and/or Spouse name, address, SSN, DOB, ID information, IP Pin (if applicable), Taxpayer PIN.
  2. Individual or Married Filing Joint status
  3. If the Filer or Spouse is dependent of another taxpayer, enter this as you normally would.
  4. ERO &/or Preparer Information as normal.
  5. 3rd Party Designee information as normal.
  6. Dependent name, SSN/ATIN, relationship, DOB, Number of months in home, IP Pin (if applicable). Note: you will be asked to mark any dependent with an ITIN as “Check to not claim dependent this year” on the Dependents worksheet. CTC and ODC check boxes will not be printed per IRS specifications for EIP returns.
  7. Enter $1 on 1040 line 2b (Taxable Interest)
  8. Direct Deposit information, if available. You must mark the “Federal” jurisdiction box on form Bank Info under the taxpayer’s Bank Account column to have bank information display on 1040 and be transmitted in the e-File.

DO NOT enter:

• Filer or Spouse "Blind" boxes
  • ANY other forms (like W2’s, Sch A, B, C, K1, 1099 etc.) or any other income, adjustments, credits or payments. Including other forms disqualifies this submission from the “Zero Income EIP Payment” process and all normal return diagnostics must be passed. In other words, this mechanism is only intended for filers without a normal filing requirement who are creating an efile to update address or direct deposit information.
  • Do not include state forms. We cannot guarantee states will treat this abbreviated federal return as valid for state filing purposes. 

Please note these particular items:

• For MFJ returns, if one of Filer or Spouse is military and the other has an ITIN, the FILER entered must have an SSN; ITINs are not allowed in the Filer SSN field.
  • To confirm this submission will be treated with IRS special instructions for EIP payment, check for the “COVID-19 EIP” literal is displayed on screen and printed at the top of page 1 of the 1040.
  • If you have already created a return and added forms such as 8867, Sch EIC, etc., you should discard these forms & schedules.
  • If you have the Error Check filter set to show Overrides, you will receive a message that “On sheet ‘1’ you entered a value of ‘1’.” This message is safe to ignore.
  • Although Direct Deposit information is not required, it will expedite the EIP payment being deposited directly to the taxpayer’s account. Otherwise, a paper check will be printed and mailed to the taxpayer’s home address.

Posted 5 weeks ago by ATX-ProdOwner

Labels: ATX ATX. Forms IRS News

Thanks for the info.  I looked at ATX news feed and didn't see this.  There are two things I missed.  I entered actual interest from 1099-INT instead of overriding with $1.  This prevented the note at the top.  And it prevented the bank info to go on the 1040 since there was no refund.  Other than that, I think she's ok.  I did insert a note at the top myself using the insert note function.  The return went thru the normal efiling process so I assume she'll get the stimulus, just a check instead of direct deposit.