ATX Community

How do you handle Stimulus questions? Stimulus for dependent that is 18 years old

giogis245

I am wondering how everyone is handling stimulus questions,  have a very upset client calling saying that she received her stimulus but did not receive her 18 year old,  she has called me three times already.  She does not believe me and has talked to half the town and she is being told by what she says everyone that she knows she is being told that they received the $500 for their dependents who are older than her daughter so she does not understand.  I said if they have not filed 2019, they base the stimulus on 2018 returns and if their children were 16 in those returns than yes they can get it and it is their good luck.  She wants to me look into it deeper and claim her money somehow, is there such a thing?  

17 hours ago, giogis245 said:

How I wish I could just say that, not my problem and get over it haha.  

Since you and I cannot really do that and keep clients, you might try running an article or two for your client.  I've found one that seems clear for this purpose:  https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/taxes/child-coronavirus-stimulus/

Also, the number given in the letter IRS sent out, Notice 1444:  1-800-919-9835

I just got off the phone with a caller, who's not even a client, and I gave her that number.  She was so appreciative and said, "Now I know why my brother brags on you all the time."  So, her brother is a client.  Yeah, I know, but I was glad I tried to help her.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On the problem with incorrect EIP payments and PPP disbursements, I don’t know that we can say IRS and SBA and lenders don’t share some blame.  Probably enough to go around. 

And my payroll client whose business has been booming this whole time was encouraged by his tax pro buddy to apply for PPP funds.  Yep, I’d say it’s not all Congress this go round. 

• Like 1

When is a recently deceased person eligible for the stimulus?  I have a joint client who just received the stimulus check for $2400.  Her husband died April 27.  According to IRS questions, receiving the check after death, the check must be returned.  For joint filers, they are to deposit the check ($2400) and write a personal check for $1200 and return it with the proper endorsements and explanations.  Is there any official date of determination when a person is eligible for the money regardless of having died shortly after?

My guess is that if the date of death is prior to the date of the check, or the date of direct deposit, it is supposed to be returned.  However, I don't know who and how that will be enforced.  I don't know anything that isn't in the frequently asked questions, and i don't think they have enough detail to answer your question definitively.  So someone else's guess is as good as mine. 

11 minutes ago, Marie said:

just posted something similar to Randall's.  Not sure what to do.  Wife will do whatever is right.  If it is to be sent back, where does it go?  address?

A54. You should return the payment as described below.

If the payment was a paper check:

Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check.

Mail the voided Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.

Don't staple, bend, or paper clip the check.

Include a note stating the reason for returning the check. 

If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit:

Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.

Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number,  or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.

Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.

For your paper check, here are the IRS mailing addresses to use based on the state:

If you live in…then mail to this address

Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, VermontAndover Internal Revenue Service
310 Lowell St.
Andover, MA 01810

Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Virginia Atlanta Internal Revenue Service
4800 Buford Hwy
Chamblee, GA 30341

Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, TexasAustin Internal Revenue Service
3651 S Interregional Hwy 35
Austin, TX 78741

New YorkBrookhaven Internal Revenue Service
5000 Corporate Ct.
Holtsville, NY 11742

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, WyomingFresno Internal Revenue Service
5045 E Butler Avenue
Fresno, CA 93888

Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, West VirginiaKansas City Internal Revenue Service
333 W Pershing Rd.
Kansas City, MO 64108

Alabama, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee Memphis Internal Revenue Service
5333 Getwell Rd.
Memphis, TN 38118

District of Columbia, Idaho, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island Philadelphia Internal Revenue Service
2970 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104

A foreign country, U.S. possession or territory*, or use an APO or FPO address, or file Form 2555 or 4563, or are a dual-status alien.Austin Internal Revenue Service
3651 S Interregional Hwy 35
Austin, TX 78741

Remember that these are just FAQs and not law. I've been suggesting to people to just wait a bit (don't cash or don't spend) for potential clarification.

BofA called my biggest biz client early on to urge him to apply for a PPP loan. This client's biz is NOT touched by COVID-19 at all. He got the money. Forgiveness will be an issue (he'll fuss at me) because it looks like employee-shareholders do NOT get the healthcare and retirement matches added, only for non-shareholder employees. I'm hoping for clarification. And, hoping I do NOT have to be the messenger.

One of my clients keeps writing me that she heard/the IRS says that she should get a stimulus check because she's on SS; when will her check come? She's on SS but also gets a NYC teacher's pension and a CT teacher's pension and still taught the first half of 2019, so she made way too much in 2019 (and even more in 2018) to get an EIP. I keep telling her. I copied her on some info from IRS.com, and it was ambiguous about SS recipients getting an EIP direct deposited. (I added a phrase before emailing her the copied text !!)

I spend half of each day, sometimes more, communicating to clients, answering questions, and taking webinars. I enjoy the learning but want to prepare tax returns. But, all my clients are long-time clients and families/friends of clients, and I always take care of them to the best of my ability and knowledge. This year is stretching my knowledge far from just tax.

And, the questions about unemployment !! I don't even know how to navigate the CT system for a SE or a partner, let alone NY and PA and.... I have no idea when their benefits will start or how much they'll get or whether the $600 will show up at the same time.

I really want to return to answering TAX questions and preparing tax returns, but I foresee a bunch of Forgiveness Applications in my future plus more questions I can't answer.

Let's start a pool re how many FAQs there will be re the Forgiveness Application. I guess 44.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Medlin Software said:

Coupled with the latest from CDC, that spreading via contaminated surfaces does not appear to be an issue, things could get "rolling" again real soon, including the restaurant industry (which opened in my city, legally, yesterday) which is the main reason for the push to extend the magic PPP time.

Note to everyone:

Because there are two main "camps" in the virus spread and a lot of misinformation being circulated, and the timing of when and how the economy reopens that mainly split along political party lines, please take care in posting so that we don't end up in a quasi-political discussion here.

Also, please try to stay on topic which was about answering clients' questions about stimulus payments, not the PPP loans program or its forgiveness.