ATX Community

Non Filer Stimulus Payment

Tal10

I have a client whose daughter received a stimulus payment using the Non Filer IRS tool. The daughter, unfortunately, is a dependent of her mother. Her mother's return is now being rejected by the IRS as a result of the dependent Social Security number being used as a primary social security number on another return. My thoughts are to have the mother paper file her return claiming her daughter as a dependent with an explanation as stated above. Has anyone else experienced this? Would you return the $1,200 stimulus check with the mother's paper filed return? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

I'll bite.  Does the mother owe, if the dependency is not allowed?  Given the speed of the aid processes, there may be no, or at least not yet, undo process for this case.  If you can delay filing, you could inquire for a ruling, or seek more specifics, and also prepare the mother for filing without the dependent.

I probably would not return the check with a mailed return, as there is likely no formal process for the return of the check with a tax return filing.

Sometimes (usually?) kids do things to become adults, even if it makes no financial sense...

Thanks for posting this question.  I have a filer whose daughter tried to claim the stimulus by using the non-filer tool, and we are now going to paper file the return for the parents.  I was assuming that use of this tool was the reason they could not e-file since the daughter swore she had not filed a return (she had no income, so I don't know why she would.)  However, according to her she was turned down for the stimulus payment. 

The interesting thing is that 2019 was the last year the parents would be able to claim the daughter.  So i think that she will be entitled to the stimulus payment on her 2020 return, but the parents were entitled to claim her on their 2019 return.  So had she gotten the check, there would have been no real reason for it to be returned.  I think.