ATX Community

Changing Internet Providers - email issues?

BulldogTom

I am going to make some changes to my ISP in a few months.   I currently have AT&T for my office and cable internet for my home.   I am going to drop AT&T but I want to keep my att.net email addresses.   I have 3 of them.   I looked online and AT&T says there is no issue with keeping your email accounts so long as your account is in good standing.   Does anyone have experience with leaving AT&T and keeping their email addresses?

Thanks

Tom
Modesto, CA

My email address is @bellosuth.net, when bellsouth was the precursor to att. August last year I left att for internet and landline, moving to cox. I have kept my @bellsouth.net email address without any issues. I use outlook on my office desktop and am able to get mail on my iPhone and iPad, all without any problems . 

• Thanks 1

This is why Gmail was created. But I agree with getting your own domain. And I would have your domain email addresses just be set up as forwards to a Gmail address, because Gmail has great spam filters, and if you ever change who's hosting your domain, you don't have to worry about porting all of your emails to the new host.

You can set up Gmail (under Accounts) to send using your domain email address (alias) so your clients never see your behind the scenes Gmail address. That way you can easily see your emails on your mobile device and reply to them as if you're at your computer.

Gmail is a bit persnickety setting up alias email addresses. We were able to use smtp.gmail.com on some of our computers, but we had to use our local ISP's smtp on the rest of the computers. It works the same regardless of which smtp site you use.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BulldogTom said:

But my tech skills are the same as my music preferences....stuck in the 80's and 90's.

Tom
Modesto, CA

Makes two of us, I cannot stomach today's music and I am still a young whipper snapper, I can listen to classic rock all day.

• Like 2

For outgoing mail, it is arguably more reliable (to actually get delivered at all, and not marked spam) to use your ISP's SMTP (outgoing server).  In your email setup (your email software/app), you can set the "from" and "reply to" addresses to whatever you wish.  Recipients can disseminate how the mail reached them, via the headers of the message, but few care or do.

It used to be sending through gmail was very reliable, but it is less so now, for external accounts, as there are some who have implemented too strict filtering (such as an online spam filter, speaking specifically of a certain fraternal group who uses one, and whose lodges have no idea how to see mail marked as spam).