ATX Community

Tip Income

Roberts

Just now, Gail in Virginia said:

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning, and I would like to.  I do it the opposite way but for the same reason.  I have assumed that if I leave cash, the waitress or the person that I hand the cash to will get the tip.  If I put the amount on the card, I don't know if the business will give the funds to the person that waited on me or put them in group fund that gets split among everyone working that night (or even, worse case scenario, pocket the money for the business and not give the staff anything.)  Tips are almost the only time that I do use cash anymore. 

Some who get tips have to "turn it in" to a pool of some sort.  My reasoning comes from what an unsavory employer did to their employees, one of which, for a short time, was one of my kids.  If they were caught not turning in a cash tip, they were fired.  Card tips were easier to track at the end of shift, and can be monitored by higher up than the shift manager,, and were tougher for the shift manager to pocket (which was being done with cash).  So for me, if it never leaves the server's hands (unless they choose to tip out), I am good with cash.  Otherwise, card it is.

• Like 1