ATX Community

Preparing business off a TB

ILLMAS

Does anybody find joy in preparing a tax return using a trail balance only?  I know it’s the same thing as the BS & PL but when the TB is almost 4 page long, I would prefer an actual BS and PL.  I guess I feel more comfortable sticking to what has worked for me in the past.

I actually prefer a TB (if it is in excel format).   I can set the prior year up next to it and look for reasonable changes from the prior year and I find it easier to make my AJEs if any are required.   Most of my clients don't know what a TB is, so I only get the BS and IS from them (if I am lucky, some try to just give me the check register).

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3

I prefer BS & PL.  I mostly have QB clients now.  A few with poor accounting, small.  I usually use the old accountants working trial balance format that I set up on an Excel spreadsheet.  Only I start with last years ending balances, add the client's current year activity and any other AJEs from me.  Then get my ending balances.

• Like 1