ATX Community

New hard drive and moving ATX client files

ABT0321

• jklcpa changed the title to New hard drive and moving ATX client files

If you copied the files over correctly, ATX will find the database when you install it. If the database has errors you can run the bat file to repair the database. ATX's instructions say to copy the subfolder, but I would recommend copying the entire C:\ProgramData\CCH Small Firm Services and C:\ProgramData\Wolters Kluwer folders. (Warning: ProgramData is a hidden systems folder. You might need to change folder view setting to show hidden folders. Or just copy paste the above paths into file explorer address bar.)

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/000048812

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/000041746

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

If you copied the files over correctly, ATX will find the database when you install it. If the database has errors you can run the bat file to repair the database. ATX's instructions say to copy the subfolder, but I would recommend copying the entire C:\ProgramData\CCH Small Firm Services and C:\ProgramData\Wolters Kluwer folders. (Warning: ProgramData is a hidden systems folder. You might need to change folder view setting to show hidden folders. Or just copy paste the above paths into file explorer address bar.)

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/000048812

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/000041746

Abby, when you post responses like this, I am first AMAZED at how good you are with these things, then I am humbled to the point of embarrassment that I am so technically challenged in these areas.   You make me feel old and unworthy.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

You make me feel old and unworthy

Ironically, I'm older than you. I just became interested in, and fell in love with, computers and programming in the mid-70s' and I've frequently read computer articles for the past 40 years, or so, driven partly by curiosity and partly by a fiercely independent streak.

Windows was the 5th operating system I learned, and I got a late start on that, sticking with DOS until Win95. I also wrote accounting and other programs in the 80s, while I was controller at a small manufacturing company. BUT I still have to rely on IT guys that know more than I do.

And, like Dilbert, it's a double-edged sword because people are always asking me to help them with all of their technology, not just computers.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, grandmabee said:

I agree my heads starts spinning,  I am glad I know taxes because I don't know details like that on computers.

I don't feel that I can do my job efficiently without knowing a good amount about the computers and other technology I use all day long. That and I like to be able to fix things myself.

When I use to hire people, I would ask them to do simple tasks like copy/paste, and if they struggled with that, I would not even consider hiring them.

• Like 1

I too have always been interested in how computers work, and back when I used DOS i HAD to know something to write bat files and execute programs.  Now, I am just trying to keep up enough to be able to tell if the IT people I use know what they are doing.  Times change, and I don't learn as quickly as I used to nor am I willing to put as much time in to work as I used to be willing to do - now I want more time to play!

• Like 3