ATX Community

undeliverable refund check - help....

schirallicpa

The dad gave me the son's (taxpayers) new address with a bad zip.  The zip gave me a different town, that was near the town where he lives.  So I left it.  I figured the zip was correct.  (I'm a numbers person, aren't you and everyone else?  I get the zip right, doesn't everyone else?)  And I looked up address on google and there was the same address in this other town, so I was clear.  I didn't bother to look if this address was in the town the dad said.  Ugh 

Anyway - refund check undeliverable because it went to wrong town.  So - I get a phone number and a code and call the IRS.  Can't get thru due to high call volume.

Any other way around this?  And I don't even know if they will talk to me with no POA when I do get thru.  And I don't sound like a guy.  boo.

You could try practitioner line, but without a POA the client will most likely have to resolve this. Client can try calling, and if that doesn't work, then I would have the client file a change of address using form 8822, wait for that to be entered, and then file form 3911 to trace the refund check that was returned to IRS because it was undelivered.

• Like 1