ATX Community

How to enlarge Lastname box?

Pacun

I know but tax payers don't like if they see their name on their return as Pac... they assume that I made a mistake.

So, for example if I type... Maria E Calderon Solano but tax payer only sees Maria E Calderon Sol.... they will call me immediately and say.... "I am not related to ex-president of El Salvador".

image.png

• Like 2

Depending on what your client is fussing about, eliminate her middle initial or use M instead of Maria. My clients usually calm down when I tell them the field is only so wide, and that the IRS uses only the first four letters of the last name anyway.

My son is Robert F. Franciose III, and his name never fit in the boxes on standardized tests in school.

• Like 2

It used to be so easy to change the forms. You used to do one click and then point to the correct field divider and you would expand fields the same way you do it in Excel. I have not done that for years and now I don't find it.

26 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

If the IRS has the last name as "Calderon Solano" just leave off the Solano and explain that it's too long for efiling, like Rosanne Rosannadanna.

For the 1040 header names, the number of total characters allowed is 35, which can include spaces, dashes and '&'s.  The question is about the dependents surname and I would assume the number of characters allowed (first name, middle initial and 2 last names And spaces) is 21.   Eliminating the middle init. and changing Maria to Mari, or Mara, both nicknames for Maria would get everything in.    Maria is often abbreviated as Mª, but you can´t enter it that way on the return.

When dealing with Spanish surnames,  Calderon is the father's last name and Solano the mother's maiden name.   Most people use the father´s name except for formal settings, such as signing docs, marriage licenses, etc.   There are some exceptions, especially with performers, writers and artists.   Maria would never be casually introduced as Maria Calderon Solano, just Maria Calderon.  Some married women use a different format putting their maiden name first, followed by de and then the husband´s surname  -  Maria Solano de Calderon.     

• Like 2