ATX Community

Covid Crazy Story - But True - Not tax or politics

BulldogTom

I went to Reno NV this weekend to see my son and do some yard work with him (gambling was not the reason - it is my story, I will tell it my way).   On the way through the mountains, my transmission went out.   I am on the side of the road, 20 miles from the nearest town with weekend traffic whizzing by on Interstate 80.   I am still 50 miles from my son's home.   So I call AAA and tell them I need a tow.   They tell me that is no problem, but that they can't let me ride with the vehicle.   I have to arrange for my own transportation.   

Here I am on the side of the freeway, and I have to stand there, waiting for my son to come get me.   Luckily, he was able to get out of work early and come get me, but the AAA driver just left me on the side of the road in the middle of the Sierra Nevada mountains. 

I am sorry, but this just seems wrong and wronger to me.   If it was my wife instead of me, I would have been livid that they would leave her on the side of the road.

Re-thinking my commitment to AAA after 30 years.   I think there are other services out there.   This policy of theirs could have deadly repercussions.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 5

Wow. I lost all my oil this (original) tax season while pulling into a client's driveway. AAA towed my car AND had me ride in the cab of the tow truck. I was at a house (OIH) only a couple of towns away from my own home and husband and second car, but the driver had me get in his truck and drove me to the dealership along with my car. Lots of things have changed since the coronavirus, so maybe this is one of them. I hope not.

• Like 2

I'm glad you shared this and more glad that you are safe.  I suppose it is illegal and/or dangerous to ride in a towed vehicle but this could have been so much worse!  Yes, I think this is unconscionable and giving me pause, too, as a 36 year member.  There must be an alternative to leaving a person stranded on a road.  I think a sternly worded communication is called for and putting on social media to warn others.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

I suppose it is illegal and/or dangerous to ride in a towed vehicle

Normally, they give you a ride in the cab of the tow truck.   At least the few times I have needed a tow, that is what they dig.   I did not ask to ride in the cab of my truck, I know that is not allowed.

28 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

putting on social media to warn others.

I don't do Facebook or Instagram.   You all are my social network.   Feel free to use this information any way you want.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 2

I think they would have allowed this woman to ride because I would have been folded over in tears and having a nervous breakdown if that driver had suggested to me that he leave me on the side of the road. 

Or.... I'd have had to call the police to come get me... and  mop up the driver...

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Possi said:

I think they would have allowed this woman to ride because I would have been folded over in tears and having a nervous breakdown if that driver had suggested to me that he leave me on the side of the road. 

Or.... I'd have had to call the police to come get me... and  mop up the driver...

A “Karen” moment 🤣

• Haha 4

Years ago I had a similar experience with AAA, although I was not left stranded 50 miles out on a mountain. A girlfriend and I were en route to an entertainment show in Philadelphia when my fuel pump died on I-95 miles south of the Philly airport where there is nothing, no phones, and fencing along the road.  AAA towed my truck to a local garage and left my friend and I at shopping center where every store was closed because it was a Sunday evening. Later on we found out this was a very bad section of Chester, PA.

This was before the days of cell phones and I guess we were lucky that the shopping center had a phone booth. I called a local taxi company to come get us and take us to the Spectrum (now the Wells Fargo Center) so that we could meet up with friends and get back home. It took multiple calls to convince the taxi dispatch that I was not pulling a hoax on them, and we finally got to our destination about 15 minutes before the show ended. Luckily, our friends didn't leave the show early and gave us rides back home!

The next day I had to track down my truck and have it towed back to Wilmington to a repair garage I trusted.  After hearing the story, AAA did agree it tow it back for nothing.  I guess we were lucky to not be harmed in some way and my truck wasn't stripped and was retrieved without much trouble.

• Like 2

AAA, and all roadside services, are a network of local tow operators who agree to tow for whatever price the cal center offers.  It could be the particular operator for that AAA service area (franchise area) came up with the policy.  I would start with the actual operator, then complain to AAA about allowing this policy.

---

For many roadside services, when you call their call center, they, in turn call local operators with an offer, sightly raising the offer until they get the tow sold.  There is usually zero consideration to the closest truck or speed of arrival.  In some remote areas, this can also apply to AAA (if they have no local operator, and agree to use non franchise trucks).  The pay rate is very low for the tow operators, and they can bump you for a cash tow of five before they get to you.

(I did not realize all of this until I got an RV, and had to dig into how the tow clubs work.)

For local issues, AAA is great.  Jump, gas, lockout, local tow, etc.  You likely already know who the truck operator is.

On the freeway, call the highway patrol.  They will get a truck there ASAP, and in most cases, you can have them expedite your club tow company.  Anywhere else, google a local company, pay them, and seek reimbursement.  If your club does not reimburse, then let the club go.

If you have a standard vehicle, review the owner's manual tow instructions while you wait, just in case they do not send a roll back truck.  If you have anything non standard, know your tow requirements first, and make sure you demand the necessary equipment and/or operator is sent.

And maybe just as importantly, unless you know the person arriving is from the company coming to get you, do not accept help from a gypsy driver.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Medlin Software said:

AAA, and all roadside services, are a network of local tow operators who agree to tow for whatever price the call center offers.  It could be the particular operator for that AAA service area (franchise area) came up with the policy.  I would start with the actual operator, then complain to AAA about allowing this policy.

---

For many roadside services, when you call their call center, they, in turn call local operators with an offer, sightly raising the offer until they get the tow sold.  There is usually zero consideration to the closest truck or speed of arrival.  In some remote areas, this can also apply to AAA (if they have no local operator, and agree to use non franchise trucks).  The pay rate is very low for the tow operators, and they can bump you for a cash tow or five before they get to you.

(I did not realize all of this until I got an RV, and had to dig into how the tow clubs work.)

For local issues, AAA is great.  Jump, gas, lockout, local tow, etc.  You likely already know who the truck operator is.

On the freeway, call the highway patrol.  They will get a truck there ASAP, and in most cases, you can have them expedite your club tow company.  Anywhere else, google a local company, pay them, and seek reimbursement.  If your club does not reimburse, then let the club go.

If you have a standard vehicle, review the owner's manual tow instructions while you wait, just in case they do not send a roll back truck.  If you have anything non standard, know your tow requirements first, and make sure you demand the necessary equipment and/or operator is sent.

And maybe just as importantly, unless you know the person arriving is from the company coming to get you, do not accept help from a gypsy driver.

2 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

It could be the particular operator for that AAA service area (franchise area) came up with the policy.  I would start with the actual operator, then complain to AAA about allowing this policy.

Nope,  it is on their recorded message before you even get to an operator.  Before they knew where I was or who I was or what I needed.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1

My kids did, and heard the same warning you refer to.  The message does not say they will arrange transportation.  In their case, they do not need transportation so there was no issue in that regard, but I wonder what AAA would say if someone enforced the transportation clause?

Candidly, I only keep AAA for my kids, since they are not always prepared to pay up front.

---

They are in Yosemite valley.  The garage (a AAA contractor) is not answering the door, or their direct phone.  A ranger gave them a card to put in the window, so the car will not get towed as abandoned.  They will deal with it when they are done hiking in several days.  (They have a second car with them, they were going to leave one at each end to avoid being on the bus.)

As another Looong Time AAA member, I have used the tow service as well as lockout, flat tire, dead battery  etc.. The no rider policy must be something with "social distancing" or something. I have never had an issue with riding with vehicle, Had one occasion where the operator asked me to leave my dog in the towed vehicle as he was terrified of dogs. I would definitely inquire at AAA corporate. I have noticed a few changes in the last couple of years since they moved call center to Northern California. Limit to 4 service calls a year was first. The call operator wanted a credit card to provide service. when I got a little agitated she gave me to supervisor and dispatched tow truck without a charge. 

I do have several "classic vehicles" that are subject to needing help home. :)

• Like 2