ATX Community

1040-SR and e-filing amended return

Margaret CPA in OH

A client self-filed a 1040-SR with a few errors.  I am preparing the amended return.  I don't see that e-filing amended returns are ready for prime time as yet.  The notice I read says this summer but no date.  So is it live?  If so, does ATX do it?

Also, they filed a 1040-SR.  For an amended return is it better/wiser to file amended SR or does a regular amended 1040 work fine?  I've never used an SR and don't really see the difference.

Thanks!

Thanks for quick replies!  I will stick with 1040X and ask the clients if they want to wait to e-file.  It may take about the same amount of time waiting for ATX or for the mail to be processed.  The refund is in excess of $6000.  TT, for some reason, did not apply the Alt Min c/o but did let the client know this week that it wasn't applied and recommended amending the return.  Good call!  And I may have a new client now.  Or not.  She is a now retired doctor and had done a great job on her own for many years with a pretty complicated return.

• Like 1

Unless I was certain that it would work, I would use the SR form for the amended return for the simple reason that the 1040 might not "find" a previously filed 1040 to match to.  I certainly would not want to risk having it rejected and have to redo it.  And I certainly would not want to explain to the client why the return was rejected.

Margaret, other than the larger font, the other main difference on the 1040-SR is that the chart for the higher standard deduction is printed on the form itself instead of "see instructions," presumably to cut down on errors for those folks that are still preparing paper returns by hand.

The 1040-X is the form used for amending all the 1040 series of returns including 1040-SR. It says so right in the form's instructions.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ilovetaxes! said:

I need to amend a self-prepared 1040 SR as well.  I know that I need to use 1040X for this, but out of curiosity, I was trying to find how to prepare a 1040 SR in ATX.  Has anyone found how to switch the return to that form?

It's probably not there because 1040 SR is just for paper filing?