ATX Community

first time filer

Marie

client received irs letter  about taxpayer identification.  this is the first return he has filed.  Previously he had been a dependent of his parents.  The letter says to verify, he must have a previous year's return.  He does have a Form 1099 from working for 2019, but that is all.  This is the second client received so far.  The other was a return we filed to get the stimulus.  They received the stimulus, but then received a taxpayer id letter.  Have many of you been receiving the same?  Suggestions on how to handle, please

You didn't say which letter the client received, but I found this on IRS website (safe link) so this may be helpful.  It has a list of items required and instructions what to do if no previous years were filed in the most recent 7 years. 

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients 

• Like 3

I have a client who is having problems with this for her son.  He filed a return about three years ago, and not again until this year.  He doesn't have a home loan or a credit card.  He doesn't have a cell phone in his name.  I don't know what she is supposed to use.  On top of everything else, he is in jail right now.  She has filled out a 2848 so she can talk to the IRS, but they won't take that when she calls - it has to go to the CAF unit first and be set up.  So 6 weeks or more for that, and 6 weeks or more for processing the refund after they establish identity. 

• Like 3