ATX Community

Form 990-N

Christian

I volunteer at a local tax exempt museum. It's a tiny local musuem celebrating the history of our small community and a has  a tiny income. The member who handled the annual tax filing died last year. He filed an annual Form 990-N which is apparently efiled only. I do not prepare tax exempt returns but was called by his successor for the following problem. The museum has a laptop for it's use. Instead of using this the former member used his personal computer inputing the tax info on it and identifying his computer as the only one to be used for submission of the museum's tax account. His successor had his name and password but was rejected as the computer does not match the Service's info.  I asked her why she simply did not contact the Service and inquire about establishing a new account explaining that the prior member filing the return was now deceased. If anyone here has any information as to how this can be resolved I would appreciate it. The 990-N looks to be a simple filing but the former guy did not print out a paper copy of his work. It would appear as not to hard to resolve but his sucessor can't seem to get it resolved. 

You can look up the EIN if you do not have it online as all charitables are public record  - but apparently they have that - And then I would see if a new account can be established.

It is simple - too simple but good for these small exempt entities.

Or do a POA and call for them.

Or like you said the easiest - they call!

Which I am getting more to go on hold and calling themselves..

Best,

D

Hubby was dean of his local chapter of the American Guild of Organists. The treasurer moved suddenly without any communication. No one else had the password. They established a new online account to file their Forms 990-N and moved forward. That was eight years ago. 

Y'all have basically reenforced what I thought.  She needs to have a chat with the folks who handle these accounts and get a new account set up. I've got as much as I can now take care of  and I ain't gonna do it. And this wireless keyboard is causing more spelling errors than I can deal with !!!

• Like 2