ATX Community

8879 for 2019 amended return?

Margaret CPA in OH

I am finishing an amended return to e-file and notice that Form 8879 is not indicating the refund amount is the difference between the originally filed return and the amended amount.  In fact, it has added together the original refund PLUS the additional refund.  Ideas?  I cannot find anything online.  Guess I thought, foolishly, that when ATX and IRS gave this the go ahead, there would be an additional or updated form authorizing ERO's to e-file the 1040X.  Or am I completely missing something (entirely possible!)?

It makes sense that the full refund amount is shown because the program does not know that the first refund was actually sent by the IRS. I am not sure if there is a  place to state that the first amount was received and you must enter it on the 1040X so that 8879 is updated and shows correct amount. 

Pacun, the amount previously received is on the 1040X, Line 18, as required.  So the amount shown on 8879 is for the previous overpayment as well as the additional amount. 

schirallicpa, your question is exactly mine.  One would think that to be the case whether or not the original was e-filed from ATX as the one I have was not.  I suppose I could override the amount on the 8879 just to show the client and reflect the figure on 1040X, but I am afraid to try to select 1040 to e-file as the software may choose that.  Wish this was really ready!

• Like 2