ATX Community

What's that form # for e-file confirmation?

Lion EA

There's an IRS form that populates via the e-file information. I haven't used it; use an email format instead as more user friendly to my clients. However, I have a client that needs to provide information to a lender to refinance and think that form will look better...

I tried searching IRS Forms & Pubs and tried Googling. I'm not using the right search terms. I think it's a high number, such as 9XYZ.

I'm in ProSystem, but I usually forward the email acknowledgements I have directed to me for IRS and the states; I add my own intro and forward to the clients. It's in letter format and friendlier feeling.  I have an e-file history page that I can upload to FileShare that is simpler, chronological, and includes the amounts of refunds/balances due that I sometimes use and did upload to this client for his lender.

But, lo and behold, ProSystem, that I thought had everything and until this point has had everything I ever wanted, does NOT support Form 9325. In their knowledgebase, I see instructions for Form 9325 for ATX and Taxwise, though! A helpful rep researched and added my request to enhancements for 2020 and directed me to the e-file page which I already uploaded.

The lender, of course, had them sign Form 4506 to get return copies as-filed. But, I think some or all of that process is slowed by Covid. So, the lender told them to go on Get My Transcript. Neither spouse is able to get on due to the IRS claiming their cells are not in their names. I'm locked out of eServices for the same reason. The IRS says AT&T tells them my cell (since the 1990s) is not in my name; AT&T tells me my cell is in my name (the bill comes in my name!).

As my client (a lawyer for a large bank) says, lenders are "box-tickers." I thing that's a perfect description. We peppered the lender with paper in hopes that something will allow them to tick this box and more on with the refinancing.

What both @Lion EA and @BulldogTom are missing is that their versions of cross and check, or ticked and tied, are all procedures that take place after other actions, and only with thought and understanding.  However, in the mortgage (and other) businesses today, the ticking and checking are a substitute for thought.  They hire people who do not (or just barely) understand basic math and reading, give them a list full of check-boxes, and turn them loose.  If all boxes are checked the underwriters will be happy; that's all they know, and they keep hounding until all boxes are checked.  Asking them to think is far above their capabilities - and probably also not allowed by their companies!

• Like 3

Oh, yes, both my lawyer client and I agree that ticking boxes does NOT equal understanding what documentation is needed to qualify for a mortgage. And, I do have a blank Form 9325 at the ready in case his lender asks for it, but we don't expect a box-ticker to ask for it as it's not listed by name on his list of boxes. The lender's still asking for an IRS transcript. So, we created a package of printed forms to overwhelm the lender with paper. The lender has been quiet for a couple days, so maybe he ticked in frustration. Or, he left early for the holiday weekend. This is almost as frustrating as the lenders that demand a comfort letter.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 12:38 PM, Abby Normal said:

My choice is to have to formula display zero if it's in balance or the amount by which it is out of balance.

That's the same way I started, the went to (Lotus) @if(round(blah blah blah,3)" ","NOT BALANCED"). Just a blank cell (" ") if balanced, but if it isn't ("NOT BALANCED") - much easier to see quickly.

And the rounding to 3 places always caught the discrepancies  of mis-entering the cents (ie. 125.513).

Incidentally, that was a problem the old "spreadsheet based" ATX had.  Formula "display" rounding to 2 places, but the formula itself did not round.

• Like 2