ATX Community

validating an old EIN

Catherine

Anyone know where I can see if an old EIN is still valid?  I can't get through to the IRS (maybe I can try Friday at 7pm, but we're not there yet). 

Situation:  friends had a small non-profit in another state.  Haven't filed tax returns in years.  I tried the "validate EIN" feature in Drake and it said the EIN was good - what I am not sure of is if it's valid for the type, or if it's valid (i.e., still exists) in the IRS database.  I also checked the other state's corporations database and they want significant sums of money before they'll tell me anything.  I've also found EIN verification tools online, all for a hefty subscription price.

Any ideas gratefully accepted!

18 hours ago, Max W said:

EIN's are valid forever. Once assigned they can't be changed to another person, or entity.

They may be non-assignable, but that doesn't mean the entity is still valid.  We had one where we tried to file a return but it was rejected because the EIN was rejected as not-existent.  We knew the number was right, because we had old returns!