ATX Community

Import from Dropbox, losing extensions

WITAXLADY

hello, so when I go to import a tax return that has an e-filed extensions and instead of doing another copy - as that doubles my count!!

the extension status disappears!

How do I keep that? Is that just me?

Now I am going in and printing the acknowledgement history - but that is extra steps and time and I do not have that now..

help please?

thx d form northcentral beautiful fall leaf season!

46 minutes ago, WITAXLADY said:

ok - I know replacing means overwriting - but usually an e-file never goes away and definitely not in this case??

How do the rest of you reconcile this?

THx d

There are differences between import/export and backup/restore.  Using "import" to retrieve a file that was created from the "export" function does not include the e-filing information or things like the bank product information.  Using "restore" to retrieve a return that had been created from the "backup" function does include the e-file and bank product information and some other data.

• Like 1

Thank you -

the issue is these returns have been created off-site remotely..

But it seems if the extension was in the imported copy, it is holding.

I just had some very early ones to finish??

Dealing with it - just taking time and I do not like in efficiency..

I like the earlier programs where every keystroke counted - put in 5 digit zip and it jumped to next cell, etc..

So I really like the zip putting in and it adds the city and state!!

wish it did it anywhere the zip was asked for!!

Sounds like you have an offsite database and a main database. Never a good situation. Preferable would be a VPN to access your main database remotely. We have 3 locations now and that's how the other 2 locations access the main database. Another option would be for the remote preparer to login into a computer on your network.

If none of that works for you, It would be preferable to use backup/restore vs. export/import. ATX creates a backup every time you close a return, and puts an index number in the file name (1,2,3,...), so you could locate where these backups are and just copy the latest ones (sort by date) then restore those.