• Yes - But waiting till the last minute
    • Not Sure - Will decide later
    • No - Could change my mind if price is right
    • No - I am leaving for certain

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom, I realize that CCH hasn't treated us very well this tax season. BUT the software program

is quite good.

Also, if I owned CCH and knew that I had a proven tax preparation package (ATX), I really

don't think I'd kill it.....I would just charge more year after year.

I guess it boils down to the amount of aggravation a person is willing to put up with.

Booger

Tom, I realize that CCH hasn't treated us very well this tax season. BUT the software program

is quite good.

Also, if I owned CCH and knew that I had a proven tax preparation package (ATX), I really

don't think I'd kill it.....I would just charge more year after year.

I guess it boils down to the amount of aggravation a person is willing to put up with.

Booger

I just received my renewal email today and my price went up 304.00 for the same thing. I do like the program but that is a steep jump in price. I am looking around at other software packages after 04/15

I renewed early last year. I seem to recall some mention that somebody waited til late and actually negotiated a discount?? If I am not having a senior moment, please someone confirm the above. It could help lots of us...

Zeke

A resounding "YES!", assuming nothing happens between now and then that woud change my mind. I love the program and it is better again this year than last. Yes, it was a little bumpy out of the starting blocks - but it smoothed out and has been clear sailing since early February. I doubt that I will "early" renew, but that is just because I never have.

I was told last year at a conference that ATX user have always been very slow to renew (early) while taxwise people renew quickly. That might be why they are uping the poss. reward for renewing early. Not sure what I will do toooooo busy to think about it right now.

I'm on the fence. The program has worked very well for me this year, but based on the comments I've seen regarding tech support, I've been dreading the moment I'd encounter a problem.

In any case, I don't trust them enough to commit any $ until the very last minute. All things considered, I don't think the discount is enough of an incentive to make an early decision - I see that as being penny wise & pound foolish. So I definitely will not renew early and I'll keep my options open until the last minute. I'm pretty familiar with Ultra Tax and would have no problems going back to it (except for the price premium), but I plan to evaluate a couple of other programs after Apr 15.

Will probably do most of my extensions on other programs just to keep my powder dry. I followed this practice last year and was prepared to go live with TaxSlayer if I needed to do so, but finally bought ATX in Dec. I expect I'll follow the same practice this year, but with at least one other program validated and on standby.

I also raised my rates about 20% this year just in case I had to swtich to something more costly, so that's been a nice profit addition once I decided to stay with ATX. So at this point the true irony is that ATX added to my profit margin this year because of the loss of trust I have in the company. But that could all be soaked up (plus some) if I returned to UltraTax.

Perhaps my partner and I are in a rut. We looked at several tax software programs last summer into fall and just didn't feel comfortable with the processes they used. Most likely we're just so comfortable with the ATX Max program after 10 years that change is not something we care for.

Is it a waste of time that would be better spent with my grandchildren to sit at my desk experimenting with software that we don't like in the end? Even if CCH makes somechanges to the ATX software we hope they won't be stupid enough to totally rework the processes within it. So even though I waited to renew last year, I may choose to renew early this year. Have to think about it. :unsure:

You know a lot of us talked Mel into creating a new program, and I for one will not sign early with anyone until I give Mel a chance. One of my biggest gripes is the shipping fee, last year was $79.00 and all I got was 1 CD and a book that I don't need or want, and yes I will get a final CD sometime in November.

I really like the board we have here and I believe that even if I go to a new tax package this board will be a lot of help. The ATX board if for ATX users only, which is not any good. There are other boards out there with I look at occasionally, but this one is the best.

I only do about 75 returns and ATX is getting a little steep for me, especially if they increase the price this year.

:spaz:

I voted : Not Sure, will decide later.

I like my ATX. But I'm pretty sure if I do renew, I will downgrade from TTO to Max and order my research materials elsewhere since I actually prefer The TaxBook over 1040 Express Answers. I'm sure I can find a weekly newsletter to replace the Kleinrock Tax Bulletin.

$99 shipping for one CD seems a little steep. I also have no use for the Trial Balance or the Document Manager programs.

When you lose "trust" - and CCH has pretty well destroyed "trust" - it takes quite a while to rebuild that trust. I see some evidence of their attempt to rebuild.....

Renew at this point - no way! Renew even a little early - again no way! Renew in Dec - maybe. Let's see what Mel does.

I would much rather support Mel (and "take a chance on a new company/software) than "take a chance on CCH."

I even think I would "renew" early with Mel - seems like the preferable choice.

As far as price - a $300 increase is less than I was expecting from CCH.

Chrisby, I bought the Trial Balance & Document Manager programs.

Both are pieces of garbage. Will also consider "Down grading"

from TTO to MAX.

Booger

We've definitely decided that if we do renew we will downgrade from TTO to Max. We haven't used the trial balance or document manager but the biggest issue we have is with Kleinrock. We just don't like it and we'll probably be going back to RIA or Thomsen or whatever it is called now. We also did not use any of the paper research materials that ATX sent as we already have The Tax Book and the CCH Master Tax Guide.

Maribeth

I never received any of my printed support materials, I nor the firm I work for. My confidence in what CCH may do in the future as compared to what they say is less than solid. I too will wait till the last minute to renew. The discount is not large enough to entice me to take the chance.

I am still reviewing other software after May 1. Like to hear everyone else's experience with other vendors products.

Have used ATX since AMTAX went away. Like the actual "form" preparation like we used to do in pencil and paper days. Remember the spreading out of the forms and doing an assembly line in order to mail out???? This year I did need to call in 3 different times for tech support and did not wait long for an answer, in fact the one time involved where they had to connect with my computer to see what was happening and the problem was a corrupt file which they walked me thru and was able to correct. I do not like taking the time to call in but if I'm at a standstill, I have no choice.

Granted, with the changeover to CCH, there is always going to be "changes" that we may not like at first but feel I can get used to, I really like the capability of jumping right to the IRS website to check on a form that I'm working on to get a quick answer when the hour is late. I checked out many "other" companies and when it gets down to it, ATX offers the forms, the format that I like to use and the price is alot less than others considering the total package that I want. Am planning to renew MAX, but won't address until after 4/15, have a couple melt-down days and then proceed with extensions.

Also, glad I found the un-official community. Good info for all.

I have used Saber/ATX since I went out on my own in 2000. I have not used any other software since I left HRB that year. I've up-and down-graded several times in that time. Most of those years, I have taken the discount. Not last year. Maybe never again.

Of course I'm content with the product...if I wasn't, I would have left long ago. And I can generally figure out what I want to know by searching the knowledge base, or going to this community, so tech support is actually a minor issue. (And I have not had the problems some of you have had with tech support, so that hasn't been an issue for me anyway.) I don't want to have to learn another software package. I don't want to spend my summer shopping around for software, either.

But it comes down to this: I can buy supplies anywhere, and not really care who sold them to me. But my tax software vendor is almost a partner, someone whom I rely upon every day to make sure that my business can operate. So it matters to me that the company I'm dealing with actually cares. That if I have a problem, someone will fix it, or at least explain the workaround. Not brush off or ignore my concerns. That I can trust them to do the right thing and be there for me next year. I do not like wondering, year after year, whether anyone will answer my phone calls or emails, or if my software is going to be there at all next year. (Because of the time difference, email has always worked better for me. It doesn't seem that email queries are answered any more? The last few times I've had to call.)

In short, I love ATX software, but my confidence has been shaken, and if at all possible, I plan to demo a few other packages this summer. (I also plan to move my office, so time, money and stress will be an issue.) And, yes, I'm very interested to see what Mel comes up with.

I may yet renew with ATX, but now they have to prove themselves to me, and the hurdle is a bit higher than it used to be.

i have had an almost perfect atx season so i intend to re-up but i also intend to support Mel and purchase his program to. Then i can evaluate his on some simple returns as well as see the comments here as well as financially support the endevour we asked [begged] him to undertake. Then my options will be wide open for the year after next.

Thanks for the compliment, Tom.

I don't think it's always true that women express their feelings better, but I appreciate your kind words.

Usually when I write like that someone gets angry with me for it. I've gotten used to being the only one who feels as I do.

But in this case, I think we've all been angry with CCH at some time in the past year.

-Julie

Julie,

What a great post. Women are always better at expressing their feelings than men. I think your post is exactly saying what I feel (except I have a little anger mixed in too!).

You can't beat a California woman. Well done.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Downgraded from TTO to Max this year because I haven't been impressed with Kleinrock Research. I have what I need with a little help from RIA. I did not receive the 1040 Quick Answers until 2 days ago after e-mailing customer support every day since early February. Asked them what they were going to do about it and have received no reply.

I've been using ATX since switching from ProSeries over 10 years ago. Didn't like the Intuit price and auto entry fields that I couldn't track back. Just couldn't figure out where the numbers came from.

Still like the ATX program, but customer service is just bad and tech support is good after I wait for more than 30 minutes to be screened for several more minutes before I am tranferred to a techie. Seems they would have my customer info on screen to see that I've been around for a while and only call for real problems.

I'm just tired and frustrated - not a good time to make a very important decision about software.

I think the software is really great. What I have found out is most of the problems are generated by antivirus and firewalls or always some screw up with Microsoft software (go figure).

Nice to have a CCH plant on the board. You just joined yesterday and left no info on your profile. You must be a CCH lifer.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Nice to have a CCH plant on the board. You just joined yesterday and left no info on your profile. You must be a CCH lifer.

Tom

Lodi, CA

CCH Plant? Is it in the rules that I must fill out my profile information? Do you treat all new people this way? Maybe thats why there arent as many people that use this board. Is this board for only the negative people of ATX? Maybe it should be renamed if that is so.

You are awfully indignant for a customer of ATX. You post just confirms what I suspect about you. CCH is planting people on this board to get them to move to the CCH moderated board "where EVERYONE is going to be, and be happy ever after". No disputes, no negative comments about the buttheads who run CCH, no disention at all. Just loving, friendly CCH folks.

CCH makes me puke. Their plants on this board are the puke.

Tom

Lodi, CA