Are you renewing for 2008 with ATX?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Are you renuewing with ATX for 2008

• Yes - Early and Taking the discount
    • Yes - But waiting till the last minute
    • Not Sure - Will decide later
    • No - Could change my mind if price is right
    • No - I am leaving for certain

"I do hope there is a lot of discussion about the TRX software after tax season. Their price is certainly attractive for a small office like mine. I would like to know more about how the software compares to ATX."

$69 for a CD? $50 price increase? I can't complain about the program, I had zero problems this year. My only problem was MyATX. Finally, a week ago, I am consistently getting in, no more password problems. I downloaded the TRX demo, but only have taken a cursery look. Maybe, I'll get time next week.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My total last year for TRX including shipping was $328.95. My practice is small - only about 80-90 clients. So price is very important to me. I, too, was getting ATX with 3 states and free e-file. The additional $3 per e-file (which I did learn about last summer) was a big deal for me, not to mention yanking our board in April. The 3 states usually worked pretty well for me, but last year I had 4. So instead of paying a huge fee to get for only 1 needed state, I did that one with paper and pencil. (OK, I did use a prior year demo that had all states to kinda cheat off of.)

TRX is not quite as automated as ATX for some of the forms I don't use often. But for my small practice, the cost savings makes up for it. The coolest feature in TRX (that's not in ATX) is that when you type in the zip code it auto populates the city & state.

I'll be happy to answer any TRX usage questions -- after next Tuesday (no, not "this" Tuesday). I'm still learning about some of its features.

How many clients do you have?

I have about 175 clients mostly with W-2, Interest, and itemized deductions. I only do it part-time (full-time I'm a Purchasing Card Manager) so making the most of each dollar is important. I do have few difficult returns with farms and TRX handled those just as well as ATX.

I'd be happy to give an end-of-the-year review. The customer service has been outstanding. I went on a vacation to Daytona in mid February and had to take my laptop and about 25 returns to prepare, but I had no way to e-file since I had only registered my desktop for filing. Called and in less than a minute TRX had me e-filing returns on my laptop and I didn't miss a beat.

Scott P

Scott,

You say you went on vacation with 25 returns to prepare and you efiled them on your laptop, on vacation? How did you get a chance to review each return with each client and have them sign the 8879? Just curious!

Email clients and get approval and call other clients without email. The Interenet & cell phones make life much easier.

I have been comparing it to the "Saber" which I had for 3 yrs, and then the "office package" from ATX the last 2 yrs. The only feature that I really liked on ATX that was not as easy on TRX was "elections". I really do like the feature of entering the "zipcode" and the city and state enter automatically.

I hv some residential rentals and commercial rentals along with Sch C and numerous Sch D entries, with the rest regular filings of non-complex returns. Very small client base, now, but at one time did over 1500 per yr. Slowing down with old age and getting turned off by changes being placed on EAs and other preparers.

Don't know if it was mentioned, but the $299 + 29.95 shipping fees, included all available state returns. I only used CA, but others were available if needed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be renewing ATX and taking the early discount. I like to hear about other programs though to know there are alternatives out there.

I have had 4 phone calls from ATX asking me to renew. 2 during tax season! The last call came yesterday and I was thinking of renewing, with a big qualification. I DO NOT WANT TO BE SWITCHED TO CCH OR TAXWISE next year. So, I asked them for a Guarantee, that if they decide between now and next tax season to discontinue ATX they would refund my money and they flatly refused.

What I got then was several promises that they would continue the ATX software and explanations as to why Taxwise and ATX are different customer bases..

I was told thet they found out (they should have known up front) that ATX was purchase mostly by CPA's and tax professional, where as Taxwise was more institutional, Banks, Mortgage Companies etc.. Was told that they intend to keep the base of customers separate.

So, once I got the sales person to Promise several times that they would support our group of users and ATX, I again asked, "If you are promising me that ATX won't be discontinued, then it should not be to hard to give me a Money Back Guarantee should you discontinue the product.". She told me that I would have 30 days to cancel after I purchased now. And I asked if they would have a working ATX 2008 product for me to try the next 30 days. Of course the answer was no. So I said"So what good is the 30 cancellation period, if you don't have the product?" All I got we can't give the guarantee and then I asked her to discuss it with her supervisor and call me back. I also told her that I would rather lose the discount this year than find renew and find out in December that we are being switched to Taxwise or one of their other products.

Now for an interesting thought. Since they fired everyone from Maine and all original ATX staff, how do we know that they are even capable of programing the new software? This product is different than the others out there. It is programed in a combination of Excel, Access and Visual Basic. I have personally tried to open the underlying Excel spreadsheet code to build custom applications for my legal practice from many of the forms and to use the formulas to link different forms together rather than the "Start Link' Finish Link". Haven't had much success. Also, trying to follow what the ATX software programmers have done with the calc sheets is not an easy task. Fixing some basic bugs during season is one thing, but writing next years package? I wonder if they are even capable of doing it without the ATX programmers they fired.

Mel, what are your thoughts here?

Anyway, I am considering renewing, but won't until I see they really have a product to offer.

Also, as I have said before, I would purchase both ATX and Mel's product should Mel be able to create one, as unless Mel you tell us different, I would guess it would not be at the level of ATX in the first year.

I just think it's unwise to renew early under these circumstances. The company has given us plenty of reason to be cautious, and they are offering nothing in return - not even a functional product.

For me this is an easy decision. There's no way I'm going to commit to the expense now of buying the software I'll be using for all my returns next season just in order to save what amounts to the charge for less than one decent size return. I'm holding out, not so mucj for financial reasons, but because having a smooth operation next year is way more important that saving a few dollars right now.

When they have a product ready to go and I'm satisfied that it meets my needs, then I'll pay for it. It's still a good deal without the discount, and if they make the mistake of pricing themselves out of the market then I'll switch to one of their competitors. The ball is in their court, not mine.

I just think it's unwise to renew early under these circumstances. The company has given us plenty of reason to be cautious, and they are offering nothing in return - not even a functional product.

For me this is an easy decision. There's no way I'm going to commit to the expense now of buying the software I'll be using for all my returns next season just in order to save what amounts to the charge for less than one decent size return. I'm holding out, not so mucj for financial reasons, but because having a smooth operation next year is way more important that saving a few dollars right now.

When they have a product ready to go and I'm satisfied that it meets my needs, then I'll pay for it. It's still a good deal without the discount, and if they make the mistake of pricing themselves out of the market then I'll switch to one of their competitors. The ball is in their court, not mine.

GOOD ANSWER!!!

CCH Are you listening? Give us your reponse.

Bucking the trend (AS USUAL), I already re-upped for 2008

and took the discount.

(Satisfied With Software) Booger

PS Also worked with Drake for 2007................PREFERRED ATX.

Booger:

This issue for me is not that I want to switch from ATX, it's that I am still not sure ATX will exist and CCH is doing things to confirm that, by not being willing to guarantee the ATX product line. \

Good chance you may end up with Taxwise!

Booger:

This issue for me is not that I want to switch from ATX, it's that I am still not sure ATX will exist and CCH is doing things to confirm that, by not being willing to guarantee the ATX product line. \

Good chance you may end up with Taxwise!

I haven't renewed yet but I probably will early. I know the discount dollars aren't that much. But I wonder about the risk of CCH dumping the program. It doesn't seem reasonable to me. They'd be better off reselling the program to someone else. Would everyone really move to Taxwise? And what about Taxwise? Does anyone know much about Taxwise, compared to Drake or TRX?

Another earlier comment was about CCH axing all the programmers. Didn't someone mention that only the tech support people in Maine were let go but the programmers were still there? Anyone know about this for sure?

Joelgilb brought up some concerns but I wonder what the probability of some of these other programs getting bought out or just going under.

I certainly don't have any inside information, but I believe that ATX will be around for

2008....beyond that, it's probably a crap-shoot.

Whatever beefs people have on this board with CCH, ATX is a great tax prep program

for the money.

TRX SOUNDS good, but I can't get past my skepticism about a program that only

costs a few hundred dollars being any good for more than the simplist returns.

Booger

Booger,

The conversation between you and Joe is probably what all of us are thinking right now. There is a part that wants to beleive that ATX is going to be as good or better than we have come to expect. There is another part that believes CCH has damaged it so much that it will damage our practices.

Who to believe, and how much faith to put into that entity is the 68,000 dollar question.

I don't trust CCH for many of the reasons Joe has stated. You seem to believe it will all be OK. One of us will be right, but we won't know until next year. Each of us will be making decisions based on our beliefs about CCH and other software companies.

BTW, I am skeptical too about the TRX, but that does not mean I won't take a look at it. It may like ATX was a few years ago - a good product, great support, low price. Probably not for $299, but I will take a peek anyway.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom, you have a way of summing things up alot better than I could.

Just seems ILLOGICAL to me that a company like CCH would "pull the

rug out" from under its ATX client base.

But, if the "bean counters" at CCH determine that the Company can save

$$$ by making the ATX customers use Taxwise, then bye-bye ATX.

Bean Counter CPA Booger