ATX Community

PTIN Renewal Notice

ETax847

I received this email today:

Congratulations! To thank you for repeatedly renewing your preparer tax identification number (PTIN) early, you have the opportunity to renew your PTIN before the season opens to other tax return preparers. The PTIN system is ready to accept your renewal from today through Oct. 15. Should you miss this opportunity, you can still renew your PTIN during renewal season beginning later in the week.

All PTINs expire on Dec. 31 and must be renewed annually. You must have a valid PTIN if you plan to prepare any federal tax returns for compensation or you are an enrolled agent.

The renewal fee is $35.95 and non-refundable. Get started at www.irs.gov/ptin.

I was not aware of the renewal fee this year.  Is anyone else planning on renewing their PTIN this early?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Crank said:

i don't believe that there was a fee for the last 2-3 years.  For few years prior to that i think it was $50.   They must have reinstituted it to make up for all the stimulus costs  sheesh!

Remember, this was the  result of the lawsuit saying that the fee constituted a tax not authorized by Congress. The U S District Court agreed and as a result the fee

was zero while the ruling was appealed up to the U S Court of Appeals which said the IRS could only charge a fee to recoup the cost of administering the PTIN

Program and sent the case back down to the U S District Court to decide the amount of the fee allowed. The current fee is the result of all of the legal wrangling.

• Like 3