ATX Community

Stimulus Problem

TaxmannEA

We have a client who receives only SS and a small pension.  They filed a joint return for 2019 in order to get the stimulus payment. The box was checked for the wife being a dependent of another by accident on that return.  They received no payment as a result. We filed an amendment to correct that error. The IRS told them that even though the the return had been amended that they still didn't qualify because the box was checked on the original return and that they can't claim it on the 2020 return either. He didn't get a payment for himself even though he was not shown to be a dependent, just the wife. 

Who do I have to beat in order to get this straightened out?

This is interesting.  I have a similar situation but it is an adult son of parents.  I filed a paper amended return but that is hung up in IRS never never land.  I assume once the amended return is processed, he would be eligible for the stimulus even if we have to wait for the 2020 return.  I wonder if the IRS info was correct.  I also wonder how the 2020 returns will show the stimulus situation.

1 hour ago, TaxmannEA said:

We have a client who receives only SS and a small pension.  They filed a joint return for 2019 in order to get the stimulus payment. The box was checked for the wife being a dependent of another by accident on that return.  They received no payment as a result. We filed an amendment to correct that error. The IRS told them that even though the the return had been amended that they still didn't qualify because the box was checked on the original return and that they can't claim it on the 2020 return either. He didn't get a payment for himself even though he was not shown to be a dependent, just the wife. 

Who do I have to beat in order to get this straightened out?

Call the Taxpayer Advocate Service, this is the kind of stuff they help to resolve.

• Like 1