ATX Community

Charitable Gift Annuity

Catherine

Client gave a relatively small amount to an organization as a charitable gift annuity, and has in his notes that half is deductible.

Is it standard for half the amount given to be a year-of-setup tax deduction?  There are no docs from the charity (and would probably say "check with your tax professional" anyway).  It's been a while since I've dealt with a fresh one of these, and my searches so far have given me all kinds of info on distributions, but nothing on year of donation other than vague "some is a deduction" wording.

Am terrified of having to ask the client; he's got some dementia and I just this past weekend got (most of) the 2019 docs, and those only because his granddaughter has been working with him to get them in order.  (Yes, I have written permission to talk to her - but she's a tax neophyte herself so it's almost as useless as asking him.)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Catherine said:

has in his notes that half is deductible.

If it was only that easy!

Actually the year of donation deduction is the  dollar amount of the initial contribution less the present value of the annuity distributions back to the donor based on life expectancy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DANRVAN said:

If it was only that easy!

Actually the year of donation deduction is the  dollar amount of the initial contribution less the present value of the annuity distributions back to the donor based on life expectancy.

So I need to ask them for the charity's contract or letter?  Heaven help me!

• Like 1

Catherine, here is a calculation I did back in 2015 for one that I had that didn't provide the calculations. This client had done another one in 2013 that had all of the calcs laid out for me that I followed.  Here is the 2015 calc:

charitable gift annuity deduction.pdf

And here is the one that I followed that you may also find helpful:

2013 Charitable gift annuity example.pdf

Edited by jklcpa
reduced file sizes of pdfs
  • Thanks 1