ATX Community

Time for CPEs... how about Global CPE [inc]

Pacun

• 3 years later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to renew by Jan 31st?

The November 1, 2023 - January 31, 2024 renewal cycle is for SSNs ending in 7, 8, 9, or no SSN

Drake, CCH, NAEA, Gleim, CPA Academy and a few others are offering CE classes. It will be a crunch to get them in by December 31. I hope you are not just starting, 72 hours is a lot. 

• Like 1

Just don't forget your annual Ethics, Terry.  It does get old.  My best Ethics course was taught by an IRS agent who started the meeting with "I know I'm preaching to the choir."  Second best didn't use a text but scenarios used for class participation.  Worst was one presented by Karen Hawkins, then head of OPR, who literally spent the two hours reading us Circular 230 and making it clear that all tax professionals are dishonest and will be penalized.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Sara EA said:

Just don't forget your annual Ethics, Terry.  It does get old.  My best Ethics course was taught by an IRS agent who started the meeting with "I know I'm preaching to the choir."  Second best didn't use a text but scenarios used for class participation.  Worst was one presented by Karen Hawkins, then head of OPR, who literally spent the two hours reading us Circular 230 and making it clear that all tax professionals are dishonest and will be penalized.

Got em! But...now you are making me check the IRS PTIN info for my CE hours and categories just to be sure.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:48 PM, Sara EA said:

Wow it sounds like she has no compassion for tax preparers.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 9:24 AM, ILLMAS said:

Wow it sounds like she has no compassion for tax preparers.

Worse than that. She went on and on about how she KNOWS we all make up basis figures to benefit our clients. I think at that point every practitioner in the room went through their mental notes of how many hours they had spent trying to come up with a reasonable basis for multiple clients. No Karen, we don't make this stuff up.

We had a client with a basis issue, and he put an attorney relative on speaker phone to tell us that it was legal to use 90% of selling price as basis.  "WHAT?", we all said, and demanded the code section.  The call ended with us insisting the client go through records and give us the real basis.  He produced it quickly--exactly 90% of the selling price for every single stock.  Let Karen Hawkins blame us for that one!

• Like 1