ATX Community

Battery backup

joanmcq

We had our power go out today and my husband couldn’t get to my computer fast enough to shut it down. (I was asleep).  Anyways, it’s time for a new battery backup.  I probably need a 1500 or so; 10 minutes of time for computer & 1 monitor so I can shut it down. Does anyone have a recommendation?  I look online and my head swims. 

Our "kids" just put solar in this year, so are using it for their work-at-home laptops as well as everything else. They still lost power during CT's recent tornadoes and strong winds and rain after lots of rainy/cloudy days in a row. Laptop batteries and wood-burning stoves got them through until electricity and sunshine returned. Honestly don't know the details; communication has been texted videos of our grandson!

With a battery backup, if you install the software that comes with it, you can program it to automatically shutdown properly when battery life is at 5% or whatever you choose. You have to use the USB cable from the battery to the computer.

I only buy APC because they paid a claim on a computer that got fried during a lightning storm, no questions asked.

• Like 5

I'm on my second APC, model 850, and am very satisfied.  I've never timed how long it provides power as the few times it has been activated, I've been around and had ample time to shut down the computer.  This is a timely discussion as it is probably nearing end of life so I need to decide whether to wing it for another couple of years or invest in a new one.

I am intrigued with the warning Abby describes, will have to look into that.

• Like 2