ATX Community

Windows 7

BobCPA

First, we hope all of you are staying safe and healthy.

We have downloaded 2020 ATX and successfully installed it on our network computer.

We are attempting to set up workstations. Our workstations are all using Windows 7. We are well aware Windows 7 is no longer supported. The installation program gives an error message when almost complete, that our operating system is not supported. We chatted with support, who was courteous and politely declined to provide any insight. They did say we could choose to use Windows 7 but would not advise how that could be accomplished. Has anyone in the community found an approach to using Windows 7 workstations?

Thank you for your time and stay safe out there.

Thank you, Illmas. We did try direct installation as stand alone computer. The installation program again states the operating system is not supported and terminates the installation.We did look where 2019 and 2018 program folders/files were located and no 2020 folders or files were noted. You are correct, when opening the already installed 2019 program, there is an error message but you can launch the program.

Whether or not you agree, the maker of W7 says it is unsafe.  You are likely beholden to keep data as safe as reasonably possible, and possibly to an even higher standard.

Defense is expensive, and using a known unsafe OS is impossible to defend, even if it is just one machine connected to your network.  You would not likely find an arbiter, judge, or jury which could be convinced W7 is safe.  Much cheaper to stay current.

I doubt you will find any tax software vendor which will give you explicit instructions to use a known unsafe setup.  If you do, document their instructions, and pass it by your E&O insurer for approval.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 10:19 AM, Abby Normal said:

But if they're just workstations, no ATX data is stored on them.

The only way this would make sense is that you have windows 7, No data, no connection to the network and no connection to the Internet. Wouldn't make sense to have it, correct? Even then, MS says it is not safe. (period).

Even if you don't have any data on a windows 7 machine it is it connect somehow to a computer that has data, it is a huge risk.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bite the professional bullet, and replace all the W7 machines with W10 machines.

It is almost 2021, like it or not.  You will get very little, or no tech support from ATX for W7, and later versions, may not work properly. It is a cost of doing business.  May require an increase in your fees.

I bit the bullet last season, increased my fees 10%, and have had no complaints about my fees.

• Like 3

When I upgraded last season,  I assessed a technology charge and explained in my cover letter the upgrades were required by IRS for security purposes.   The fee was modest and assessed to every client so covered the expense and I dropped it this year being considerate of several who are affected by the COVID stuff.  It worked for me, your mileage may vary, and I am very happy with the upgrades.

• Like 3