ATX Community

Looking for PC cleaning recommendation

schirallicpa

Me, too.

When I changed techies and had my new guy advising on and setting up my new computer a year ago, he got rid of some things (BitDefender is one I remember) but kept CCleaner. This techie was recommended by another tax preparer; he works for tax preparers, accountants, and lawyers primarily, so I've trusted his suggestions re security.

• Like 4

I recently uninstalled CCleaner because it was deleting my Firefox add-ons settings and driving me nuts. Windows has built in disk cleanup but it takes a long time to run. If you're really short on space, you can tell windows disk clean up to delete system files as well.

It's a shame because CCleaner is very useful. I recently came across a computer with a hard drive nearly 90% full. I ran CCleaner and it got rid of years of windows update files and the disk ended up only about 20% full.

You could put a shortcut to your temp folder on your desktop and open it up and delete all the files once a day. %temp% is all you need to have for the shortcut location.

Some files might not be able to be deleted due to programs running, and that's ok.

Also, set your browsers to delete cache when closed. It's personal preference to delete browsing history and other things, but you'll want to keep your cookies to save time logging into some sites.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1