ATX Community

Amended Return Disaster

ETax847

2 hours ago, ETax847 said:

I mailed in a paper copy of a client's 2019 amended tax return back in April.  Today, I come to learn that the IRS closed out the file with no comments and I need to resubmit it.  Is there any way I can E-file this or has that window closed?

So the 1040X was never processed?

I have one still waiting to hear if it was received, was mailed in April.  Two that were mailed in March are now showing received in April but not yet processed.  

That’s puzzling that a file would be closed out with no resolution, as if they have some kind of job action going on, but we don’t want to assume something so unthinkable.

I had one (1040X) mailed in May.  Recently received a response on the IRS link that the return was received but not yet processed.  The response gave a phone number and extension to call.  I waited a few weeks assuming it would take a while to be processed.  I finally called the number yesterday.  The agent said it was received in May, but they did not begin to open these mailed in returns until August.  This return was not put into the system until Oct 20.  There would be about a 16 week processing period for these.  So he projected Feb 9 as the date this return would actually be processed.  At least I got a status report on where this return is in their system.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ETax847 said:

All of the e-filed amended returns were processed timely.  I'm going to wait until the efile window reopens in january and resubmit it electronically.

Yes, but you could not efile 2019 amended returns until August.  I wish I knew in May they would be getting this efiling available soon.  Back in May, paper filing the amended returns was the only way.  I think the Covid situation brought this on faster.  At least going forward, we'll have efiling for amended returns.

• Like 5

On 12/4/2020 at 10:18 AM, schirallicpa said:

I was considering doing that but was afraid eventually the paper one would be processed and gum things up more.

I would *hope* that they'd look at the paper one and see the changes had already been made electronically.  But that probably assumes more sense on the part of the IRS than they have available.