ATX Community

Zoom or Webex

Terry D EA

I am looking at using either zoom or webex to meet with clients this upcoming tax season. I'm not sure which software provides the best level of security. Any suggestions?

I know Zoom was full of holes at the onset but has now tightened things up quite a bit. Still would like to know what others say.

• Like 1

I'm following this because I have never, ever used either one. I do dread the day I might need it, too. I'm so ragged out all the time, my mug will scare my clients to death! 

And if I have been *coughing* that day, the only medicine that works for me is Tennessee Honey. And that only makes me look better in MY eyes! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I haven't tried Webex, but I use Zoom 2-3  times a week for church-related meetings & classes.  I'm a big fan of Zoom, especially since they tightened up their security.  Once you master the basics, it's amazing what you can do with it.  And it isn't very expensive (yet).

• Like 4

Update:

I have been using zoom as a teacher since last spring. I did speak with a zoom rep today and asked about the security or encryption for both video and audio. They stated they are very secure with both items and each it encrypted. My concern was using the screen share and who could hack into it. I have also used Webex. Webex, does have some glitches. When I use Webex on one of my machines which is a Win10 Pro with all of the latest updates, Webex knocks out the audio and all of the audio settings get changed and I have to reset them. So, I'm now thinking that zoom maybe the better way to go. Zoom has a free platform that still has the same encryptions as the paid version. The only difference is number of hosts allowed and meeting length. The free version is 40 minutes and the paid subscription is 24 hours. Hopefully, this will be a good way to meet with clients during this pandemic and very well may entice new business.

• Like 2

Knox Wimberly, a VA tax preparer/instructor/security guru/Methodist minister bought and renovated Taxaroo communication software that has everything in one place -- from text to video chat --  with outstanding security. Check out a demo or try it out for a month for $1: Taxaroo.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Knox Wimberly, a VA tax preparer/instructor/security guru/Methodist minister bought and renovated Taxaroo communication software that has everything in one place -- from text to video chat --  with outstanding security. Check out a demo or try it out for a month for $1: Taxaroo.com

After the free month I understand it is $99/month for 2 users.

• Like 1

That sounds about right. I bought it at $940/year (14 months?) to lock in my price under a promotion. Now I have to learn more about using it, but I get a phone call from a real person to walk me through it. If it does all the things I saw in the demo, I'll drop my portal. I am excited about its features and have taken a few tax classes from Knox this year (and listened to a few of his sermons).

• Like 1