ATX Community

Stimulus Worksheet

Corduroy Frog

Don't know whether I'm in the right place for this message or not.

My seminars keep referring to the ever-forthcoming IRS worksheet to calculate or reconcile the stimulus payment received in 2020.  Basis for calculation is 2020 statistics, but I understand there won't be any repayment to the IRS if the taxpayer has been overpaid.

Has anyone seen the IRS worksheet?

• Like 1

I like IRS worksheets to see how numbers flow, especially for something new or different. But definitely get used to how your software works re EIP reconciliation.

I remember the first year of HSA deductions and an early-season client. I looked at all my entries, was getting the bottom line I expected, and the 1040 had the numbers right. I had not stepped through the Form 8889 line-by-line, though, because this was one of my rare clients that liked to sit here while I prepared her return. She got home and called me about a number on a wrong line, appearing that she rolled over into an HSA, I think. Luckily, that wrong line yielded the same result -- but I was embarrassed. (That client now lives across the country, so I have a good excuse to prepare her returns without her in my office.) I learned to step through new forms thoroughly, not just data entry but also each line on the final form as it will be filed, no matter how much a client is pushing me to finish!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...