ATX Community

New Computer

grandmabee

I go with whatever is on sale at costco (or similar).  The return policy is good, as is their support.  Once you get past 30 days of good use, the new drive should last several years (the drive is usually the item which, small chance though, could fail right away).

I went with surface pro the last time.  Probably the best consumer level security built in, and can be used portable, or to drive a desktop monitor and keyboard.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, mcb39 said:

I saw almost that exact configuration for an HP on Woot.com for $529 refurbished.  I bought mine last year from Tiger (also refurbished) and it is amazing.  It's so nice that my IT man bought one as well and says it is the best computer he has ever had.

I am too scared to go with a refurbished.  probably  just as good but I always go with new and keep for 3-4 years.

I understand.  However, I feel that refurbished is just like brand new or better because they have been gone over and are guaranteed.  I have never had a problem and none of my computers have ever failed.  Updates and good IT along with backups and I don't worry.

20 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

I go with whatever is on sale at costco (or similar).  The return policy is good, as is their support.  Once you get past 30 days of good use, the new drive should last several years (the drive is usually the item which, small chance though, could fail right away).

I went with surface pro the last time.  Probably the best consumer level security built in, and can be used portable, or to drive a desktop monitor and keyboard.

I have a Surface Pro and love it.  I just had it completely updated.  I don't use it for taxes though as I have all three licenses installed on computers in my office.  The Surface Pro is a lovely toy and I have the keyboard as well.

I have always used Dell.  I wouldn't even consider anything else.  I have never had a problem that I didn't cause.  The only issue I ever had was trying to use an encryption software that Windows didn't like.  It actually locked me out of my computer and my IT guy had to call the software provider to find a way to get my computer back.  As far as hardware failure, I never have had an issue.  Average life for my computers or 7 to 8 years.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, grandmabee said:

I am too scared to go with a refurbished.  probably  just as good but I always go with new and keep for 3-4 years.

I have a refurbished Acer Laptop and a refurbished Dell Optiplex Desktop and I haven't had any problems.

From what I have read, most refurbished items are subject to fairly extensive testing before they're sold.

• Like 1