ATX Community

Transcript access

Handling the estates of my mother and grandmother. I am in need of transcripts for both, for the last few years before they passed.  As I understand it, those who have practitioner access can download transcripts, while I can likely only get mailed copies, sent to their last address (which will not work).  If anyone can assist (or enlighten me on the process), let me know.

The IRS usually cuts off online access to transcripts within a month of when a person dies. If I already have a POA for a client, I download everything I can as soon as I see the obit.

You can file a 2848 as personal representative of the estate and attach the court document showing you as personal rep or executor, but you will still have to request paper copies be mailed. Obviously, now, that entire process could take quite awhile.

Make sure you check the box on the 2848 to have copies of everything sent to you.

You can fax in the 2848 along with the court doc's, but I'd also mail it with the 4506-T.

Good luck!

I am having to learn as I go.  Mom and Aunt did nothing when grandmother passed, now mom passed earlier this year.  I even had to sign something as an heir for my grandfather, who passed in '71, because the real property title was not changed.  The rub is neither made any plans, gave any indication of their wishes, so intestate it is.  I have two sibs waiting for their cut with open palms.

Catherine has agreed to help.

• Like 3

If you filed Form 56 - Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship - with the IRS you will be able to have access to whatever transcripts are available.  I became an administrator of an estate a little over 2 years after date of death, filed Form 56, and when I called about getting transcripts and asked if they needed an 8821/2848 was told Form 56 allows me to do anything.  Haven't needed anything other than the transcripts but hope they meant it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1