ATX Community

Can't set up e-file for tax return

David

I keep getting an e-file error message that says the total tax on retirement distributions from form 1040 must match total tax on retirement distributions from form 5329.

Both filer and spouse have one 1099-R with distributions subject to the 10% penalty. The penalty on form 1040 matches the penalty on form 5329. How come the program doesn't think it matches?

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? I have had other returns with 1099-Rs and form 5329 but haven't had any problems setting them up for e-file.

Thanks for your help.

I keep getting an e-file error message that says the total tax on retirement distributions from form 1040 must match total tax on retirement distributions from form 5329.

Both filer and spouse have one 1099-R with distributions subject to the 10% penalty. The penalty on form 1040 matches the penalty on form 5329. How come the program doesn't think it matches?

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? I have had other returns with 1099-Rs and form 5329 but haven't had any problems setting them up for e-file.

Thanks for your help.

Make sure the 5329s are marked at the top for "Filer" and "Spouse" appropriately.