ATX Community

Payroll loading issue?

Margaret CPA in OH

I just downloaded, twice, the payroll program, following both times all the prompts.  I chose stand-alone, it's confirmed then when I try to check for rollovers it prompts me to find the server.  So I uninstall and do it again, just in case.  Same thing.  Is it just me?   I hate to call support but may have to do so.  Ugh!

But I don't have a server so I can't point to one.  How is it possible to install on a non-existent server?  And why would there be a prompt for either a stand- alone OR a server?  This is the umpteenth year I've had this software and never before had this issue and I've never before had a server, always a stand-alone. 

18 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

But I don't have a server so I can't point to one.  How is it possible to install on a non-existent server?  And why would there be a prompt for either a stand- alone OR a server?  This is the umpteenth year I've had this software and never before had this issue and I've never before had a server, always a stand-alone. 

ATX programs from 2013 onward have two components, the program itself and the "server". It doesn't mean a server in a network setting, and the server component is there even in standalone installations. I believe it is part of the program that accesses the database and other files the program uses.

See if this KB may help you connect the 2 pieces of the program: https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/14613

Lynn, your option worked.  However, although the client is there, is cannot be highlighted to rollover.  I guess because I didn't actually e-file that one, just printed for mailing.  So at least I have the program opened now and can just re-enter data. 

Judy, thanks for the KB.  I have just never had this issue in all these many years but think it may be due to the above observation or other gremlins.

Pacun, I never roll over automatically.  The problem was that I was not even able to access the program as I couldn't get past the select your server screen.  When I tried to find something, there was not any option at all.

All good now, thanks to all for saving me a tech call!  And we're off to the races 😀

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...