ATX Community

IRS delays start of efiling to Feb 12th!

Abby Normal

I sent my "new tax year" email to clients on January 2.  Looks like I may need to follow-up with another email to  update the efile date of February 12; but more importantly to offer additional guidance on what clients should be providing me in regard to stimulus payments.  Did they receive the payment(s) and how much exactly?! 

It should be a "fun" season!

🙄🙄🙄

• Like 4

I sure hope they give us a new file-by deadline as well. 

This year, I will be notifying all my out of town clients that they need to find a local preparer. I'll also tell my larger (Sch C) businesses to look for someone else. 

I am walking toward the sign that says "reTIRED."

It will be a slow walk, and I'll keep my small, easy local clients. But I'm so tired. This business isn't fun anymore. They can blame the pandemic all day long, but it ain't the pandemic. The IRS has been beating us up for a long time. Congress doesn't move in time for anything. Nobody does their job anymore, they just blame the other guy... or "the pandemic." 

So tired of it all. 

Donna Downer

• Like 10

Just know you are not alone, Donna.  So far I am fine with out of town (and country) clients and Sch. C's are few and easy.  I am in a bit of a bind now, though, as my computer guy decided I was to take over from his retiring accountant.  After gnashing of teeth and tearing of some hair, I decided to prepare the return (2 S-corps and 1040) ONCE because I don't want to alienate him.  I have emailed multiple times that it has been many years since I've done corps and the engagement letter will be pointed but looking at 2019, they were fairly simple.  We shall see but ONCE only.

My license expires Dec. 2022.  I doubt I will even contemplate renewing for another 3 years but it depends.  I have no EIC or really any lower income folks.  But I really don't want to keep learning more new stuff!  And it's getting so hard to do anything online with 2fa and codes and changing passwords and and and.  I do want to keep the little gray cells active but maybe there is a better way.

• Like 3

I'm only 60 but I feel you!  I've already refused to take anyone that's had PPP, EIP (except one existing client and she only got the 10k 'free' loan).  My international client is ex-patriating soon. Anyone that quits me, hey it's fine.

I figure the computer I just bought will be my last. 

• Like 6

One reason that everyone is so down right now is that we just got through the tax season that never ended.  We couldn't do much in April because we were too busy taking calls about the stimulus payment and business loans.  July was just like the usual April.  Immediately after it was time for extensions, and October was just like April.  Then it was time for CE.  In between there were many more calls from clients who needed help with loans, retirement distributions, new W4s that are incomprehensible, and on and on.  We never got a break, and for those who took a few days off there was no travel so we never really got away from it all.

Another reason is that there were so many changes to the tax code, and changes to the changes, that our brains are overloaded.  We now have to take update courses to the updates we already took.  One poster said that she just didn't feel competent going into the coming season, and I think that feeling haunts many of us.

Hang in there.  We've mastered huge changes before and will again.  The new heads of the IRS and Office of Professional Responsibility seem to hear us and to be genuinely supportive (as opposed to treating us like enemies of the gov't and their personal hit men).  As the virus winds down and the IRS and congress get their acts together, things have to get better.

• Like 10

You make some good points, Sara, and I am sure that is part of it.  But I agree with Possi that the attitude of the IRS towards preparers, and the difficulty of getting information or resolving issues in a timely fashion contributes to the retirement fever I have been suffering from the last couple of years.  My husband is a bit older than I am, and has been retired for a while now.  I have hobbies that I have not participated in for a couple of years, books I want to read and new hobbies I would like to take up.  I want to travel while I still can (although that isn't looking so hot for the next year either.)  But mostly I am just tired of being expected to audit returns for the IRS because they don't have the time or the money or the staff to do it.  That is not what I signed up for.  If it weren't for the cost of health insurance, I probably would have retired a few years ago.  

• Like 4

On 1/15/2021 at 8:52 PM, Sara EA said:

things have to get better.

That's my thinking too.  How could it get worse?  We've been battered around like a ping pong ball at a championship tournament.  I was planning on making this my last fulltime year as the work is not as pleasant as years past, but with all the time spent inside last year it may have benefited mental acuity, and kept us busy not dwelling on all the negatives in our world.   I will still try to slow down but I am finding it difficult shedding clients, who goes and who stays, so many are like family and friends.  Knowing it's time is a good reason, and with all the additional work, clicks, schedules, and requirements it just makes sense.  Sounds like I'm trying to convince myself.

• Like 5

On 1/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, Yardley CPA said:

I sent my "new tax year" email to clients on January 2.  Looks like I may need to follow-up with another email to  update the efile date of February 12; but more importantly to offer additional guidance on what clients should be providing me in regard to stimulus payments.  Did they receive the payment(s) and how much exactly?! 

It should be a "fun" season!

🙄🙄🙄

For anyone who doesn't have the information, I'm going to send them this link and tell them to get back to me after they look it up.    https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/notice

I sent out my letter last week.  It had two main points.  1) No in-person meetings;  2) Plan for extensions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JohnH said:

For anyone who doesn't have the information, I'm going to send them this link and tell them to get back to me after they look it up.    https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/notice

I sent out my letter last week.  It had two main points.  1) No in-person meetings;  2) Plan for extensions.

Thanks, John.  Very helpful.  I appreciate you posting it. 

• Like 2

Soooooooooooooo filing season starts February 12th! I am assuming I can still go ahead and efile these early birds who fly in and ATX will forward them to the Service on February 12th. I'll have to explain to the clients that any refund due will be late in coming right ? Like most of you I too am expecting fewer clients this season. I usually advertise in February but have decided not to do so this year. At 78 I haven't been dependent on the business for income in ages but I enjoy it and interacting with those I serve. My family have been involved in some form of small business for four generations and some 150 years and it sorta runs in the blood. Sadly I am the last Mohican.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, JohnH said:

I'm using that. Sold. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Does that give an amount or only if/when disbursed?

It doesn’t give the amount. But I don’t  have access to their account records, so it’s the clients job to look it up. No reason to discuss it any further with me until they’ve done their job. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JohnH said:

It doesn’t give the amount. But I don’t  have access to their account records, so it’s the clients job to look it up. No reason to discuss it any further with me until they’ve done their job. 

I might be ok after all... 

😃

• Like 1

I completely understand everyone's frustration and I'm with you.  I started doing this as a side business over 25 years ago when I began getting referrals from family and friends.  Over the past few years I've gotten rid of all non1040 clients.  Sixty is right around the corner and I keep debating will each year be my last.   My worsening health since 2014 has only exacerbated the frustration.  As someone who has been health conscious my entire life it amazes me how many people lead unhealthy life styles without significant complications.

• Like 4

You struck a chord in me Crank.   A common refrain, when is enough enough.  I've seen most of my 68th year and like you have led a healthy lifestyle my whole life.  But some mornings upon awakening I feel something off and say, oh great, now what is this?  I have a feeling for us it's mostly wearing out parts maybe due to a healthy active lifestyle.  At least the tax work does exercise the grey matter so that doesn't wear out, something that is keeping me in the game.  On an Everybody Loves Raymond episode when Ray was in the sauna at his father's club with a group of older guys, in an attempt to be relative he said "I got up to pee last night" and one of the older guys said, "at least you got up."   I guess it can always be worse.

Be well my friend,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 2