ATX Community

EIN for SSA-1099

HV Ken

If you follow the links, there is no requirement to enter an EIN because it is, by definition from SSA.  I think IRS is willing to accept the figures, including withheld tax, from form 1099SSA without an EIN. I've never entered it as, at least in ATX, it is never requested and has no place to be entered.  As the field next to the carried tax is blue, I don't believe it is required to be entered.  I've never had a return refused without an EIN for Social Security.  I say not to worry.

Aha!  So this is new.  I looked at a return on 2019 ATX of a client with tax withheld from her SS.  That chart you show does not have EIN columns, just Filer and Spouse.  I guess all the other entries normally have a data field for EIN so it's usually there.  Thanks Max for finding it for us.  Now if only ATX would code it into the data input area for SS benefits or at least provide the space to enter it there.  Geez!  What a crock! 

I'll have to research and see about RRB1099 as I have a client to see if that is yet another number or whether both numbers are entered.  Grrr.... It's always something.

3 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

You can customize the 1040 Ln 25-Tax WH tab to have the SSA EIN always there for you, in case you have withholding on a 1099-SSA, and it will NOT give you a red error if there is no SS withholding!

Is the EIN for RRB1099 the same or different?

I think I will just code it in for the small number of SSA1099s I have that also have withholding. I bet it is less than 5% of my client base.

12 hours ago, HV Ken said:

Is the EIN for RRB1099 the same or different?

I think I will just code it in for the small number of SSA1099s I have that also have withholding. I bet it is less than 5% of my client base.

The EIN for Railroad Retirement Board is actually on the RRB-1099R and the RRB-1099.  It is 36-3314600 so it is different than the number Max provided for SSA. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Max W said:

Here it is. 

SSA's employer identification number (EIN) (52-6004813) 

Where did you find this number?  My search showed this:

Does the Social Security Administration have an EIN?

That is because Social Security Administration does not have one. The EIN is usually for employers. ... Select Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1009)Jun 6, 2019

I did see as Lion noted that RRB has an EIN listed on the form but not on any of 3 SSA 1099s I've seen.  It still just seems so very strange to now have to input it.  And I trust Abby Normal is correct.  Guess we will all find out soon enough!

14 hours ago, Gail in Virginia said:

The EIN for Railroad Retirement Board is actually on the RRB-1099R and the RRB-1099.  It is 36-3314600 so it is different than the number Max provided for SSA. 

Because the EIN for RRB is different than SSA, I do NOT think the idea of changing the master form (proposed by @Abby Normal) is a good one.